Del Sol Medical Center is a Level II Trauma, 347 bed acute care TJC accredited hospital. Within our hospital campus, we also house an Inpatient, CARF accredited Rehabilitation Hospital. We are located on the Eastside of El Paso, Texas right off of Interstate 10. We provide exceptional patient care services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New Mexico and West Texas Regions.
Under general supervision, performs routine, complex or specialized bacteriological, hematological, chemical, immunological, serological and immunoassay procedures on body fluids which will aid in the diagnosis and evaluation of the treatment of diseases while maintaining the highest standards of medical technology. He/she must maintain the highest standards of any and all accrediting agencies. Performs related quality control and clerical work as required. POPULATION SERVED:
Clinical Laboratory services performed on patients from Neonate to Geriatric ages. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Medical Laboratory Technician Responsibilities (Testing Personnel Responsibilities - CMS)
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and
maintaining records of patient test results. 2. Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient Specimens.
3. Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and
procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
4. Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the
laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
5. Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results
and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the Supervisor, Laboratory Manager or
6. Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established
- Performs clinical laboratory assays in one or more of the technical disciplines.
- Demonstrates good knowledge concerning techniques and theory.
- Performs tests accurately and precisely according to written policies and procedures and established practices.
- Learns and adapts well to new instrumentation and techniques.
- Ensures that assay results are reported in a timely, legible, and meaningful format with appropriate reference values and/or interpretive comments and delivered to the appropriate clinical practitioner/clinical area.
- Ensures that test selection and reference ranges are appropriate for the age of the patient.
- Performs duties with minimal supervision, showing appropriate independent judgment.
- Ensures timely availability of laboratory results.
- Organizes work and work area for efficiency of performance.
- Performs work with sufficient speed to allow acceptable turnaround time of results.
- Demonstrates good productivity as judged by efficient use of time and volume of testing and other duties performed.
- Prioritizes work appropriate to relative importance and critical nature.
- Immediately reports and documents critical values.
- Ensures the quality of analyses through quality control, quality assurance, and maintenance activity.
- Performs quality control activities appropriate to each assay performed, and responds appropriately to outlier results.
- Successfully participates in proficiency testing activities in each technical area for which the employee has responsibilities.
- Participates in preventive maintenance and repair of instrumentation.
- Participates in preparation of calibrators, reagents and other materials.
- Participates in training and educational activities for the laboratory.
- Helps train new employees or those with less experience in a technical area.
- Participates in providing in-service education for the laboratory and other hospital personnel.
- Performs other related duties as directed or required.
Qualifications: REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATIONS
- Individual Leadership : Demonstrates confidence in own skills, knowledge and ability and opportunities for personal growth and ability to accept and adapt change.
- Customer Service : Demonstrates customer service skills with both internal and external customers.
- Transcultural Sensitivity : Treats patients/customers as individuals with unique values, beliefs, and practices.
- Risk Management/Patient/Customer Safety : Demonstrates patient/customer safety according to policies and procedures.
- Educator : Identifies, implements, and/or evaluates opportunities for patient/family education.
- Infection Control : Demonstrates infection control practices congruent with policies and procedures.
- Performance Improvement : Performs, participates, implements and evaluates performance improvement activities at the department level.
- Financial Accountability : Identifies opportunities for waste reduction and department efficiency.
- Information Management : Demonstrates adherence to information management policies and procedures, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Communication : Works as a team member through interaction, assistance and demonstration of appropriate communication skills and reporting/activation of the chain of command appropriately.
- Practices Professionalism : Performs, participates, implements and evaluates personal performance.
- Ethics/Compliance : Performs all duties ethically, complying with all policies and procedures, federal, state, and local laws.
- Environment of care : Demonstrates accountability in role and responsibilities of the 7 Environment of Care plans.
- Job Specific : Medical Laboratory Technician
Current BCLS certification required. REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Associates degree in medical technology or clinical laboratory science. PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Preferred certification as a Laboratory Medical Technician, MLT(ASCP), or equivalent certification which is issued from a recognized accrediting agency. Preferred general 1-2 years of clinical laboratory experience or equivalent clinical laboratory training. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
Ability to relate professionally with people, analytical abilities, ability to problem solve, train employees and to interact with the team. Organizational skills, time management skills, written and verbal communications skills. Excellent customer service skills required. Ability to navigate through information using acquired computer abilities and skills.
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom