Long-established as an important part of Southern Kentucky, TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital is a Joint Commission-accredited, 211-bed hospital located in Bowling Green, Kentucky. TriStar Greenview offers services like an expanded Emergency Department, Cardiac Cath Lab, accredited Chest Pain Center, Advance Primary Stroke Center, and an Orthopaedics program featuring Blue Distinction® designation for hip and knee replacement. TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital
is currently looking for a Medical Lab Technician POSITION SUMMARY
A Medical Laboratory Technician utilizes skills and training to perform test of samples of blood, urine and other body fluids to obtain information in diagnosis and evaluation of a patient's medical care. Medical Laboratory Technician identifies cultural differences and incorporates into care. Medical Laboratory Technician utilizes translation services when indicated. Medical Laboratory Technician fulfills departmental responsibilities with the long range plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital. Medical Laboratory Technician participates in performance improvement activities to assure continuous quality improvement. In addition, promotes a supportive environment that encourages collegiality. Medical Laboratory Technician is educated on the protocols specific for Neonate/Infant (0-12 months), Pediatrics (1 - 17 years), Adults (18 - 79 years), and the Elderly (80 years).
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Analysis of various body fluids relating to the fields of chemistry, serology, toxicology, special chemistry, TDM, urinalysis, coagulation, and cell counting to aid in diagnosis of certain disease states.
- Microscopic analysis of human cells relating to the field's of hematology and clinical microscopy to aid in diagnosis of certain disease states.
- Analysis of human blood relating to the field of Transfusion Medicine to provide adequate blood supply to the community and to aid in the diagnosis of certain disease states.
- Analysis of human sites of infection to identify pathogenic organisms relating to the fields of Microbiology, Mycology, Mycobacteriology, Virology, and Parasitology to aid in diagnosis of infectious disease states.
- Performance of Quality Control, Preventative Maintenance, and troubleshooting techniques on analyzers and testing methodologies to ensure quality of Laboratory results.
- Computer entry - Includes registration of patients and ordering of tests in the Meditech computer system as well as resulting and verifying of test results.
- Communicate test results to physicians, nurses, and clients as well as follows the patient safety goal protocols for communicating critical test results.
- Review Outstanding Specimen Reports for each department for each shift.
- Perform phlebotomies and capillary sticks on patients to obtain proper samples for analysis.
- Answer incoming calls from clients, physicians, and nursing staff
- Orients and mentors staff
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- AS Degree from accredited university, or equivalent, preferably with a Medical Technician internship at an affiliated hospital or equivalent
- Preferably registered by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, AMT or equivalent
- Current certification as a BLS Healthcare Provider, (exception: Microbiologists)
- Basic Computer Skills
- Ability to perform work that requires prolonged, extensive or considerable standing/walking required.