Medical Technologist ASCP PRN
Lafayette Regional Health Center is a 25-bed acute care facility that is deeply rooted in the community it serves. Lafayette Regional includes all new private rooms with private baths, state-of-the art imaging and testing services, a full range of general and laparoscopic surgeries, wellness programs, and rehabilitation services. With a broad range of services, nearly 20 medical specialties are covered at Lafayette Regional.
Lafayette Regional Health Center is currently looking for a PRN Medical Technologist ASCP.
• Under the general supervision of the Director/Section Manager/Operations Manager/Lead Technologist performs pre-analytic testing responsibilities including clerical duties, date entry, and specimen processing.
• Performs moderate complexity and high complexity testing on blood and body fluids as defined by CLIA 1988. Performs post-analytic testing responsibilities including test reporting, verification, investigation of technical, instrumental, and/or physiologic causes of unexpected test results. Monitors quality control. Maintains inventory of supplies and reagents.
• Maintains non-analytic equipment such as refrigerators, freezers, and centrifuges.
• Maintains a safe work area.
• Demonstrates professional work habits, interpersonal skills and great customer service.
• Participates in performance improvement activities, evaluation of new test methodologies/instrumentation, and management of laboratory data.
• Correlates abnormal laboratory data with pathologic states to determine validity and/or whether follow-up tests should be performed.
• Teaches theory and procedures using educational methodology to clinical laboratory science (medical technology) students. Assists with the orientation and training of LTA, LTA, LSC, CLT/MLT, MT Non-registered, and CLS/MT Registered employees.
• The Medical Technologist provides care for birth to pediatric, pediatric/child patients between 1 to 11 years of age; adolescent patients between 12 to 17 years of age; adult patients between 18 to 64 years; and geriatric patients 65 years and older.
• This employee may or may not be required to perform specimen collections as defined by their individual competencies.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Education Requirements : Bachelor degree in laboratory science or related science required OR "Grandfathered" as a medical technologist by CLIA 88.
Professional Licensure/Registration/Certifications/Other : MT (ASCP), CLS (NCA), MLS (ASCP) or, as appropriate, BB(ASCP), C(ASCP), I (ASCP), H(ASCP), or M(ASCP) certification or equivalent required OR registry/certification eligible. Registry/certification must be obtained within 1 year of hire.
Experience : Experience preferred