The Medical Laboratory Technician is responsible for competently performing moderate and high complexity testing in the areas of Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, Immunohematology, Microbiology, Urinalysis and Serology. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures including departmental programs, quality control, performance improvement, and safety. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs laboratory testing.
- Competently performs moderate and high complexity testing in Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, Microbiology and Serology.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient results.
- Operates test systems proficiently.
- Troubleshoots test systems and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Notifies appropriate Supervisory personnel.
Ensures quality of laboratory services.
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventive maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action including supervisor notification.
- Follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement programs.
- Participates in the Laboratory continuing education program.
- Participates in "Total Quality Management" initiative (i.e. Modular Training, Process Improvement Teams, etc.).
Utilizes Departmental resources in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates efficiently by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
Promotes customer relations within the organization and in the community.
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Communicates with the laboratory staff and customers to promote quality guest relations.
- Maintains and supports a service-oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to customers.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates a supportive climate by serving as a role model of guest relations behavior.
- Communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of the national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and Round Rock Medical Center. Utilizes universal precautions at all times.
Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the Laboratory. Adheres to Laboratory safety policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction; consults with other technical staff, Supervisor(s), Laboratory Director and/or Pathologist(s) as needed. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory customers. Provides care for neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, automated analyzers, centrifuges, microscopes, manual and automated pipettes.
Ability to read and write in English. Ability to read and analyze technical reports. Ability to write accurate and concise clinical documents. Ability to collect data for further analysis. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the Laboratory and with Laboratory customers. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: Associate degree in a clinical laboratory science from an accredited institution, including a U.S. military program to be completed no later than 6 months from the date of hire. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Preferred: Certified in the area of Clinical Laboratory Science by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, National Certification Agency for Clinical Laboratory Personnel, or equivalent.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom