Strategic Account/Operations Manager
This position is responsible for the execution of complex strategic relationship management and account development strategies in support of the Global Meetings Solutions value proposition. The Strategic Account Manager will provide thought leadership and strategic direction at a solution level and at a client/client portfolio level that drives client retention, revenue and profitability growth. This person will lead the client strategic meetings management relationship and associated strategies related to retention, contract management, revenue growth, profitability, expansion and overall account performance. This role may require research and partnership with external industry groups.
This position will be tasked with presenting project deliverables to senior management, clients and industry groups, conducting complex financial analysis in support of growth and profitability projects. Directs and coaches assigned personnel to ensure that all services, administration, and profit objectives pertaining to the assigned accounts are achieved while maintaining high service levels. Provides comprehensive leadership to their clients, overseeing sourcing and planning of programs, providing client and team support and training, and managing special projects.
Critidal to this position is the management of direct and/or indirect reports, which support sourcing, contracting, planning, attendee registration/management and budget development/capture for dedicated accounts. Depending on account complexity, scope may include management of multiple accounts. Performs other duties as assigned. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with project management, meetings management and client management experience. Up to 30% travel required. **This position must be local to the Bristol, CT area and expected to be on client site in Bristol daily for up to the first year. CLIENT ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT:
- Responsible for client retention, contract management, revenue growth, profitability, expansion and overall account performance.
- Oversee the strategic direction of the client's meetings management program including providing thought leadership into the strategic plan, program goals and quarterly business reviews
- Partner with meetings operational teams, Travel, Card and other partners to deliver a comprehensive global relationship plan for the client.
- Act as the main point of strategic leadership/relationship for the client contact coordinating the overall components of the meetings business and driving strategic development of the program
- Develop the client growth strategy inclusive of consulting engagements, up sell/cross-sell of additional event engagements or program expansion strategies
- Manage profitability of client portfolio (revenue, margin and receivables)
- Operate in a team-oriented environment with a strong sense of responsibility toward team members and engagement objectives
- Ensure deliverables and high quality and meet client needs
- Support sales as a subject matter expert on strategic meetings management
- Reviews and updates the financial forecast with the financial data as required.
- Reviews and approves monthly client financial settlement summaries and other billing documents.
- Monitors team in order to achieve the highest profitability on assigned accounts by tracking labor, invoicing on a timely basis, updating reporting systems, collecting commissions, and understanding profit points within their programs.
- When assisting with proposals, ensures cost sheet accuracy before initial presentation.
- Strategize, analyze, forecast, implement and manage financial and operational measures to track results and ensure operational profitability.
- Holds self and others accountable for business results.
- Provides meeting industry and product subject matter expertise from the pre-proposal stage to proposal qualification/development/delivery.
- Assists in growth opportunities within existing accounts in order to recommend and communicate additional sales opportunities to Account Managers and Business Development Executives.
- Reviews, analyzes and takes appropriate action based on information received from surveys and departmental personnel.
- Maintains active and past operated travel program history and review the history with Account Managers, and Business Development to identify meeting trends and new travel opportunities for clients.
- Participates in client meetings, presentations and quarterly/annual business reviews to explain operational processes, review contractual statistics and workload, and resolve challenges.
- Resolves customer inquiries which have been escalated, and coaches direct reports to research and resolve customer inquiries.
- Communicates customer inquiries to Director which have the potential to escalate.
- Participates in management meetings to ensure standardization of processes across SMM and to discuss solutions and service levels.
- Resolves problems and removes obstacles through interaction with other functional departments.
- Escalates obstacles while presenting solutions to Director.
- Acts as an extension of the sales team and as an American Express Meetings & Events representative during site inspections, program operations, and client meetings.
- Develops strategic partnerships with multiple contacts within client and supplier organizations.
- Maintains proactive, positive, open line of communication with client to ensure understanding of expectations and client satisfaction.
- Anticipates upcoming workload/activities and plans accordingly. Coordinates workload overflow with other Directors.
- Coordinates with other American Express Meetings & Events leadership to prepare short and long-range project and financial forecasts.
- Identifies, develops, and ensures implementation of SOP's and standard practices and process improvements.
- If assigned a new account, ensures new account implementations and start-ups are successful based on client feedback and agreed upon measurements.
- Ensures that customer satisfaction via client survey and benchmark results are analyzed and communicated for the purpose of developing direct reports and ensuring and improving client satisfaction.
- Develops service recovery plans, ensures the plans are implemented, and improvement goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Outlines strategy and communication plan for assigned group.
- Evaluates impact of events and reassesses objectives and outcomes; plans for continuous improvement.
- Coaches and guides direct and indirect reports in leadership role.
- Creates and encourages a positive and open work environment to maximize quality of work life.
- Interviews and selects direct reports by following American Express Meetings & Events selection practices and policies.
- Ensures direct reports are trained on Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), policies, performance reviews, client specifics, company strategies, values, and administration.
- Ensures direct reports are maintaining compliance through monitoring and measurement.
- Evaluates staffing models to ensure appropriate staffing levels are in place.
- Coaches and develops direct reports by providing feedback on performance expectations and assisting with development plans.
- Conducts one-on-one meetings on a regular basis and ensures the performance management process is maximized.
- Encourage the sharing of industry trends, ideas, special educational opportunities and best practices.
- Leads weekly team meetings with team/account to discuss volume, productivity, customer deliverables, process, and service levels.
- Provides performance based rewards and recognition to reinforce behavior as it occurs.
- Approves and presents salary recommendations.
- Coaches direct reports to improve performance and counsels with human resources when presenting written warnings. Follows company policies and procedures for all disciplinary actions.
- Recommends employee terminations after consulting with human resources to ensure policy and legal requirements are followed.
- Lead team members regarding daily inquiries.
- Serves as a Mentor in the areas of forecasting, costing and budgeting, and reviews team members' program budgets.
- On-boards new employees.
- Ensures people related paperwork is current for direct reports.
- Reviews, tracks and/or approves vacation time, expense reports, payroll, time and other employee systems for direct reports.
- Act as SME to ensure consistency and training for all, using best practice approach, experience and knowledge.
- Manages special projects as assigned by the Director.
- Provide back-up support for Director.
- May require travel to destinations worldwide, in support of client site inspections, client management activities and/or program operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree. MBA a plus
- 5-7 years of business experience
- 5+ years of management of people
- Minimum of 2 years Corporate Meetings Management industry experience
- Minimum of 4 years client management experience
- Experience in television, film, production a preferred plus
- Experience and passion for sports a plus
- Experience in sports marketing or events a plus
- Proven Leadership of event or meeting management teams or equivalent
- Experience with a strategic meetings management technology preferred
- Knowledge of Sabre a plus
- Proven ability to promote change and efficiencies within an organization.
- Program management system and meetings industry technology experience preferred
- Prior experience in effectively handle multiple projects/demands.
- Strong knowledge business financials, contracts and service levels
- Demonstrated ability to think conceptually, using strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and experience at managing client expectations
- Demonstrated superior organizational abilities
- Ability to lead, influence and motivate others - indirect reports, internal and external
- Outstanding project management skills
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Outstanding negotiating skills
- Demonstrated client relationship skills
- Ability to travel by airplane, boat, rail and/or car.
- CMP and/or SMMC designation a plus.
United States>Connecticut>Virtual Location
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, citizenship or marital status, and to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
GBT Recruitment Privacy Statement
For help, please contact our support team at GBT.Talent@aexp.com .