PORTSMOUTH REGIONAL HOSPITAL
Mental Health Technician
Medical Oncology Unit 620
The Mental Health Technician works under the direction of the Registered Nurse, and shares responsibility for providing and maintaining a therapeutic milieu, through basic psychiatric nursing-related techniques, and supervised therapeutic activities, in accordance with relevant standards and regulations, as well as with clinical and administrative policies. Duties may also include assisting the Treatment Team with the teaching and orientation of new staff, acting in the role of Preceptor, and the performance of other interventions in support of discharge planning process, case management activities, etc., as directed by Department Director.
SPECIFIC ELEMENTS & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Completes position responsibilities by following established guidelines & protocols within the appropriate time frame.
2. Demonstrates good skills in all forms of communication. Works well with others in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
3. Maintains education, competency and development appropriate for position.
4. Adheres to established hospital and department guidelines and protocols. Supports hospital mission, vision and values.
5. Performs position specific job functions at an acceptable level.
6. Acts as co-primary for assigned patients. Plays a pivotal role in devising and implementing the plan of care as part of the multi-disciplinary team, monitoring the treatment program with patients; supervising individual patient's compliance with treatment plans, and documenting observations appropriately.
7. Assists in the admission and orientation of new patients to the unit.
8. Assists other members of the Treatment Team in the implementation of the Treatment Plan, including teaching and orientation of patients to the plan.
9. Possesses the ability to assess data reflective of a patient's status and interprets appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and provides care as described in clinical services policies and procedures.
10. Responds to programmatic needs which may involve interdisciplinary collaboration, as requested by unit management.
11. Organizes patients for groups and directs them to groups at the assigned times. (POD and Inpatient Medical Detox unit MHT does not provide group therapy services)
12. Supports and reinforces the therapeutic milieu in a manner consistent with the efforts of other treatment team members.
13. Facilitates/leads treatment focus meetings, activity groups and other groups having specific education/experience requirements.
14. Informs the Charge Nurse of patient conditions, both physical and behavioral, appropriate to the degree of urgency warranted by the patient's condition.
15. Escorts patients to testing/procedural areas as necessary.
16. Performs treatment procedures, e.g. pass preparation/return specimen collection, as assigned.
17. Assists patients with personal hygiene and ADL's as assigned or when indicated.
18. Works with patients individually within the Treatment Plan parameters.
19. Assists patients with the care of their room as indicated.
20. Utilized strict protocols when dealing with potentially aggressive patients and assures the protection of patient's rights.
21. Monitors and assists with providing care for patients in seclusion or restraints in accordance with hospital policy.
22. Supports and assists with implementing and/or revising the plan of care as it relates to the patient's identified cultural and religious beliefs, language barriers, etc.
23. Demonstrates sensitivity and respect to the patient, the patient's family or significant others, as an individual and family unit.
24. Maintains precaution checks as assigned and documents according to policy.
25. Stays alerts to the presence of contraband on the unit at all times, and follows procedures for searches according to policy.
26. Performs environmental rounds and reports any faulty equipment, property damage, environmental safety concerns to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
27. Adheres to appropriate professional boundaries in relation to patients.
28. Provides education to patients (and/or families) that includes instruction in specific knowledge and/or skills needed to meet ongoing healthcare needs, and documents the same in the medical record.
29. Accurately and consistently completes the Shift Notes on assigned patients in the medical records and has no deficient charts.
30. Adheres to unit/hospital standards for documenting patient care.
31. Completes annual competencies within appropriate time frame.
About Portsmouth Regional Hospital:
Portsmouth Regional Hospital is a 209-bed acute care hospital located in Portsmouth, NH, and is part of HCA-the nation's largest provider of healthcare services. Portsmouth Regional Hospital serves the Seacoast region's residents in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts and also is one of the area's
largest employers. Portsmouth Regional Hospital is the only Level II Trauma Center on the Seacoast and one of only three in New Hampshire to earn this important distinction.
EXPERIENCE: (Minimum relevant work experience for successful job performance)
1 to 3 years
2 year/ Associate Degree or 4 year/Bachelor's Degree within 12 months of hire.
LNA in NH
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom