W.W. Grainger, Inc. (NYSE: GWW), headquartered in Lake Forest, Illinois, is a Fortune 500 industrial supply company founded in 1927. While each customer has a unique facility to operate and a different problem to solve, its customers all share the same requirement: when they need one of Grainger's products, they often need it right away. With more than 22,000 employees, the Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-savings solutions. With 2012 sales of $9 billion, Grainger is a Fortune 500 Company, and is a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies List. As a leading distributor, Grainger's success depends on an effective and growing supply chain and sourcing operation.
The primary role of this position is to lead a team of finance experts and serve as financial advisor to the Services and Solutions leadership team. Key areas of focus include evaluating the profitability of new & existing growth initiatives, analyzing business segment results, developing long range forecasts for key business initiatives.
- Span of control covers finance support of the Services and Solutions area, which includes Keepstock, Safety, ePro and Offer Development.
- Manage and develop a team of three finance professionals. Provide outstanding leadership direction working with direct reports and provide constructive feedback to help develop team into a high performing organization.
- Provide financial guidance and thought leadership to support decision making related to Services and Solutions. Monitor progress of investments, suggest potential metrics to evaluate results.
- Provide business partners with the financial impact of strategic opportunities and give recommendations on how to meet financial objectives.
- Act as subject matter expert for functional revenue, expense and/or profitability models.
- Utilize continuous improvement principles to help improve business results and drive productivity gains throughout the department.
- Work cross functionally to build strategic business relationships that will provide increased insight to results that can be factored into annual plan and monthly forecasts.
- Develop and support metrics and reporting that drive business decisions and ensure attainment of agreed upon plans.
- Provide recommendations for improvement when results are sub-optimal.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Business or equivalent; MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in a related field preferred
- Previous management experience preferred
- Proven ability to coach and mentor others; ability to lead a team to operate in a complex, rapidly changing environment, and the ability to balance and prioritize work on multiple projects.
- Strong competency in relevant financial skills such as profitability analysis and expert financial analysis.
- Broad business knowledge and organizational awareness as well as an understanding of business profitability drivers.
- Proven analytic and quantitative decision making skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interface effectively with senior leadership.
- The ability to influence decision making processes without having specific authority.
- Knowledge of SAP and Teradata preferred. Must be technologically savvy in order to drive effective means of analyzing and reporting critical business information.
- May require some travel (
This role requires strong analytical skills, solid leadership skills to manage a team of professionals as well as the ability to interface at very senior levels of the organization. Strong work ethic and results orientation required for fast paced, customer focused environment.
- External vendors, customers
- Internal business partners, VP/Officers, Functional/Regional VPs
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.