Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Grainger's inventory planning team manages over 10 million stock keeping units and $1 billion in inventory across 13 DCs and 250+ branches in the U.S., Mexico, Panama and Puerto Rico.
The primary responsibility of this position is to execute and maintain the company's inventory plan to the local markets, with particular focus on (a) inventory positions throughout the branch network; (b) leadership of emergency response product needs (c) partnership with field team members to identify unique customer requirements and make necessary adjustments to the inventory plan and (d) identification and execution of projects to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness. This position manages a team that is responsible for supporting Grainger's districts in the United States and is accountable for meeting product availability and inventory turns goals. The Regional Inventory Manager works closely with key stakeholders, including Branches, Sales, Contact Centers, DC Operations, Transportation, Supplier Performance Management, and Inventory Systems to drive results.
Execute and optimize inventory deployment across the branch network
- Understand and represent near-term business needs and long-term business strategy to determine inventory needs.
- Lead regional efforts to respond to in-season demand requirements for inventory.
- Coordinate with key partners (e.g. Regional and District management) to refine & develop processes for deploying inventory in the most productive fashion
- Educate cross-functional partners on corporate inventory planning practices, performance results and goals.
- Facilitate reverse logistics efforts by coordinating with reverse logistics team and communicating plans and actions with regional stakeholders.
Manage key Inventory Management projects to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Work with management team to identify and prioritize initiatives.
- Develop actionable recommendations with implementation plans; support execution as warranted.
Lead a team of 4-6 Inventory Analysts who perform the following work
- Monitor and respond to un-forecasted changes in regional demand affecting inventory levels and service levels.
- Facilitate the collection of local market intelligence and emergency customer needs and develop actions to respond appropriately.
- Identify and trouble-shoot products that are underperforming expected service levels and develop appropriate response plans.
Coach and develop team members based on Inventory Management best practices and catered to individual development needs
- Onboard new team members as they join the department or Grainger
- Provide frequent feedback and coaching
- Support team members in their development goals to enable future career progression within Grainger
- Evaluate and recommend changes to company stocking policies
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities related to inventory planning and supply chain processes
- Provide subject matter expertise on various corporate improvement initiatives.
BA/BS or equivalent preferred.
5-7 years of experience in related field preferred.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills required
- Demonstrated progression in level of responsibility throughout career with potential for more senior positions at Grainger
- Possess mature and professional demeanor, appropriate interaction with external customers and internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated supply chain experience working in partnership with transportation, warehousing, purchasing, supplier management and inventory management
- Demonstrated capability to build relationships and work effectively across all business functional areas to attain goals and drive business results
- Attention to detail and the ability to logically evaluate information, identify issues and draw conclusions
- Strong quantitative skills and ability to perform and manage analysis.
- A sense of urgency and the ability to deal with change and the shifting demands within the business environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while meeting aggressive timelines with limited direction
- Able to support the development needs and growth of supply chain professionals within the organization
- SAP experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or equivalent) functionality (Word, Excel, Access dB, PowerPoint) expected.
SPSS proficiency required.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.