Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., a member of the Johnson and Johnson family of companies, is currently recruiting a Manager, Systems and Controls Engineering, for the development of surgical robots and instruments in their Cincinnati, Ohio location.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google Surgical Robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Manager will be responsible for managing and leading both the Systems Engineering and Controls Engineering functions for integrating complex electro-mechanical surgical instrument programs for a novel new surgical robot.
- Demonstrate business maturity, flexibility, and outstanding partnering while leading critical functions required for the engineering and technical integration of advanced surgical tools with externally-developed robotic systems
- Manage and lead a group of Systems Engineering professionals and consultants
- Drive system-level definition, development, implementation, integration, and launch of complex surgical instruments that are effectively integrated on the robotic system
- Manage the collaboration with external partners to mutually define the technical interfaces between robotic platforms and current and future advanced surgical instruments.
- Lead the resolution of complex cross-functional and cross-platform issues, tradeoffs, and risk in accordance with system objectives
- Manage the integration and verification of instruments onto the robotic platform in accordance with program requirements and design. Own the validation of the integrated tools against customer requirements.
- Lead a group of electro-mechanical controls engineers to ensure effective performance and control integration of advanced surgical tools with a surgical robot
- Manage and communicate status, risks, resourcing, and technical issues across organization
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations
- Define and lead initiatives to increase Ethicon’s capabilities in Systems and Controls Engineering
- BS/MS in an engineering discipline (Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical preferred)
• Minimum 15 years engineering experience in an interdisciplinary product development environment; at least 5 years in a lead or supervisory Systems Engineering role within an FDA-regulated environment, required
• Experience in leading the development of complex multi-disciplinary product/system architectures and system interfaces. required
• Demonstrated leadership and management capability, with business maturity, professional flexibility, and effectiveness in leading, aligning, and collaborating across organizational boundaries (e.g. project teams, functions, and partner organizations) preferred
• Solid foundation in electromechanical controls theory and practice, including motion control (robotics end-effectors preferred). Ability to organize, lead, and resource the controls engineering function. preferred
• Thorough understanding of leading requirements management across complex systems; from development through verification and validation, including extensive direct customer contact, required
• Thorough understanding and working knowledge of ISO 14971:2012; experience in leading safety risk management activities, e.g. Hazard Analyses, FTA, and FMEA, required
• Experience in leading the technical development of complex multi-disciplinary product/system architectures and system interfaces, required
• Thorough understanding of and leading Design Verification and Design validation activities for complex systems, required.
• Thorough understanding of medical device product development practices, with surgical device experience, knowledge of IEC60601 and IEC62304, and direct customer engagement strongly preferred.
• This position is based on Cincinnati, Ohio, and may involve up to 30% travel.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)Requisition ID
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.