Overview: With a nationwide sales team and several manufacturing locations, B. Braun Medical has become a leading full-line supplier of healthcare products and services in the U.S. The company is committed to delivering innovative products and services with unmatched quality, superior technology, and cost-effectiveness, while maintaining environmental responsibility. Through its "Sharing Expertise®" initiative, B. Braun promotes best practices for continuous improvement of healthcare products and services. B. Braun employs over 4,500 people in the USA. B. Braun Medical Inc. began its operations in the USA in 1957. Initially, the company manufactured and sold disposable plastic syringes. During the 1980s and early 1990s, the company undertook several expansions and enlarged its product line of disposable medical devices. With the acquisition of McGaw, Inc. in 1997, including Central Admixture Pharmacy Services, Inc. (CAPS®), B. Braun dramatically broadened its product lines and services to U.S. customers.
U.S. Facilities and Operations:
Supporting product sales are a network of nationwide marketing and manufacturing locations. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, is home to the U.S. Corporate Headquarters along with the marketing offices of the Hospital, Outpatient Markets (OPM), Renal Therapies, Vascular Interventional, International, and OEM Divisions. Central Admixture Pharmacy Services, Inc.(CAPS®) is also managed from this location. The nearby Allentown, Pennsylvania, facility manufactures Needle-free products, IV Safety Catheters, Anesthesia Systems, Introducers, Pharmacy Admixture products. Vascular products including Right Heart Catheters and Interventional Accessories are also manufactured in Allentown. The Irvine, California facility produces IV Solutions, Basic and Specialty Nutrition, Drug Delivery, and BTC products. Infusion Pump Systems are manufactured in Carrollton, Texas and IV administration and IV and Irrigation sets are produced in the Dominican Republic.
Responsibilities: Position Summary:
Perform all technical as well as manual duties required for chemical and physical formulation of product. To include all steps of production from receiving raw materials to providing solutions for Filling lines. Perform preventive maintenance and general repair to the mixing equipment. Generate suggestions for and assist in development and implementation of process improvement on an ongoing basis. Responsibilities: Essential Duties
Expertise: Knowledge & Skills Materials or Products
- Operate all types of mixing equipment such as slurry mixing systems, Millipore filter assemblies, cartridge filter units, dust collection units, tanks, valving and associated piping, heat exchangers, pumps, acids, alcohol and chemical weighing scales.
- Maintain and repair all equipment in accordance with cGMP standards. Perform general maintenance within area such as replacing carbon seals, casters, wheels, broken sight glasses, etc. Maintain all equipment in accordance with cGMP, repair and/or replace leaking sample port valves, diaphragm, butterfly and ball valves, replace rusted nuts and bolts and repair plumbing clamps. Change gear oil in agitator gear boxes, lube, replace tank outlet seals and tank lid gaskets, replace rusted nuts and bolts and repair pumping clamps.
- Coordinate with General Maintenance crew to schedule and assist with major repairs to mixing equipment.
- Identify and communicate potential safety and maintenance problems to Supervisor.
- Maintain the Mixing Complex, Weigh Room and bulk chemical storage areas in compliance with cGMPs.
- Interface with Chemical Control, Receiving, Production Supervisors and Maintenance on a daily basis.
- Maintain weighing records, raw material released lot numbers, and program's weigh scales computer system.
- Tune and adjust equipment during process to maximize output for each production run.
- Take leading role in identifying possible process improvement projects, assist in development, implementation and follow-up of ongoing improvement projects.
- Investigate process nonconformance and identify manufacturing and quality deficiencies.
- Coordinate mixing tanks with production schedules and establish mixing timetables based on water availability, solution complexity and length of release time on a daily, as well as hourly, basis.
- Assist, as necessary, for safety purposes, the cleaning process of Mixing Technician I.
- Assist with ongoing process improvements.
Tools and Equipment
- Substantial damage or chemical loss is possible and can be prevented by the checking and testing of equipment and following area procedures with care and attention to detail.
Safety of Others
- Considerable care and attention must be given to all mixing equipment to maintain accuracy and to prevent damage to equipment.
- High degree of care required to prevent injury to others especially when working on equipment while the guards have been removed or when working with high voltage equipment and corrosive chemicals.
- Considerable care and attention must be given to equipment condition and setup. Dangers include high voltage equipment, acids, high potential for slipping, high fatigue level, confined spaces and exposure to corrosive chemicals.
- Work in other areas as needed.
Qualifications: Expertise: Qualifications-Experience/Training/Education/EtcRequired: Equivalent Education Level
Job Training and Experience
- Must pass SAT II skills testing with a minimum score equivalent to 7 th grade English comprehension and 6 th grade math skills.
- 1-2 years experience in the production filling area including familiarity with solution run changes, compatible solutions and production start-ups or a minimum of 1 year experience in the technical field.
- Accuracy in basic math including the metric system.
- Understanding of production filling units.
- Understand and ability to apply current Good Manufacturing Practices as they relate to the production or large volume parenterals.
- The ability to communicate and comprehend instructions, both verbal and written.
- Strong mechanical ability.
- Knowledge and understanding of machinery and instrumentation.
- The ability to pay close attention to detail and react positively to pressure situations.
- The ability to schedule and manage time wisely to meet required deadlines, both production and maintenance deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the "Right to Know" program as well as the location of the MSDS for the area.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Braun offers an excellent benefits package, which includes healthcare, a 401(k) plan, and tuition reimbursement. To learn more about B. Braun and our safety healthcare products or view a listing of our employment opportunities, please visit us on the internet at www.bbraunusa.com Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities /Women/ Veterans/Disabled
Through its "Sharing Expertise®" initiative, B. Braun promotes best practices for continuous improvement of healthcare products and services.
Other: Responsibilities: Other Duties:
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work Environment: Surroundings
- Exposed to high level of noise, water, humidity and slippery walking surfaces.
- Clean room gowning is required.
- Although all safety precautions possible have been implemented, several dangerous hazards exist: 480 volt power supply in damp and sometimes wet environment; moving of heavy portable equipment; working with acids such as concentrated hydrochloric acid, concentrated glacial acetic acid and concentrated phosphoric acid; alcohol explosive (198 proof).
- Attention to detail is mandatory. Mixing processes several solutions which are very expensive and complicated to mix. They must be monitored to completion. Every production run must be processed by procedures to ensure the highest quality product.
- Equipment must be maintained to optimum operating condition to assure consistency and integrity of the mixing process.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
One of the world's leading healthcare suppliers.