• Build and assist in developing one-of-a kind models from verbal or written communication that may include sketches, assembly drawings or detailed drawings.
• Plan and perform the necessary work required to complete projects.
• Provide input on the completed model to the engineer. Completed prototypes must meet or exceed the appearance and quality of a production part or product.
• Set up and operate all necessary tooling and machines mentioned in knowledge and skills required.
• Provide time and cost estimates for projects.
• Understand machine and cutting tool concepts, applications and feeds and speeds.
• Assignments would require working with tooling tolerances and model dimension tolerances as specified, (typical production tolerances).
• Develop job strategy and sequence of operations.
• Develop and prove out manufacturing processes.
• Design tools, dies, fixtures, jigs and machines for prototyping and manufacturing. Design includes finding or determining part specifications, research materials, part material specifications, work required to achieve part such as tonnage, spring back, proper clearances. Request quotes and purchase components to be used. Request quotes from material and component vendors. Fill out purchase orders for vendors.
• Use CAD programs for designing of prototypes, tools, dies, fixtures, jigs and machines.
• Build any dies, tooling, or jigs required to make prototypes.
• Program CNC equipment in model shop.
• Layout dimensions on material to be machined using precision measuring devices, shop mathematics and descriptive geometry when working from drawings.
• Ability to perform part layout measurements
• Produce standard work instructions, tooling drawings and supporting documentation for projects and equipment being used in model shop.
• Acquire quotes from vendor for tools, dies, fixtures, jigs and machines to their own design. Create purchase orders to buy tools, dies, fixtures, jigs and machines.
• Assist test lab technician with testing and documentation of testing as needed.
• Follow established safety procedures and maintains a clean and organized work area.
• Other duties as required.
Knowledge & Skills Required
• Good working knowledge of Milling machines, lathes, boring machines, surface grinders, drill presses, sheet metal tools, powered brake presses, mechanical presses, hydraulic presses, welding, brazing, sawing machines, measuring devices (optical comparator, micrometers, calipers, gages, scales) and any associated hand tools.
• 2 year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. 4 years suggested minimum experience. Experience as a Journeyman Tool & Die maker or Model Maker a plus.
• Ability to interpret and work from sketches/blueprints/verbal instruction with minimal supervision.
• Ability to lift equipment and materials. Frequent 20 pound lifting.
• Basic math skills.
• High level of self-motivation and integrity.
• Effective and professional communication and organizational skills are required
Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Outlook or other email programs.
• Strong interpersonal skills and decision making ability.
• Experience with sheet metal forming preferred
• Experience with NC equipment (mill/lathe, laser, waterjet, press brake) preferred.
• Experience in welding (MIG, TIG, etc.) preferred.
• Knowledge of electrical wiring a plus.
• Die making experience a plus.
• Experience as a Journeyman Tool & Die maker or Model Maker a plus.
Experience with CAD, AutoCAD, Pro/E, Creo is a plus.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.