At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Modelling and Simulation, Associate Principal Scientist
in Waltham, MA
, you'll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. IMED
(Innovative Medicines and Early Development) focuses on scientific advances in small molecules, oligonucleotides and other emerging technologies and drug discovery platforms across our focus areas.
We're looking for an accomplished Modelling and Simulation (M&S) scientist with a track record of developing and applying model-based approaches in the development of drugs to join our Safety and ADME Transitional Sciences (SATS) Department. The Translational Safety and ADME team is responsible for running and interpreting cutting edge in vivo and in vitro systems for key target organs. This provides us with a wealth of information requiring identification of early predictors and patterns of activity associated with adverse drug events.
As an M&S specialist you'll play a pivotal role in defining the way we use data and technology, and your focus will be on quantitative interpretation and translation of pharmacology, toxicology and ADME in vivo data. You'll be responsible for the application of systems pharmacology and data science to evaluate and translate in vivo safety findings from preclinical species into patient populations. You'll also engage with other toxicology, ADME and pharmacology scientists in providing holistic and quantitative safety risk assessments.
Your main challenge will be on developing and implementing systems pharmacology approaches in preclinical safety. Specifically, you'll apply mechanistic modelling and 'omics analyses to support projects. You'll also work with computational specialists in other departments and institutions to coordinate the development and implementation of cross-functional collaborations. You'll liaise with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and collaborators to identify opportunities, build support and deliver innovative modelling and simulation solutions.
To succeed in this role you'll therefore need to work collaboratively with your key stakeholders and provide innovative solutions to challenging technical problems. An entrepreneurial mind-set and drive for scientific leadership will be important for success.Main responsibilities
- Contributing to the development and implementation of new strategies for Safety and ADME Translational Sciences (SATS)
- Advancing the science of systems pharmacology in translational safety and ADME
- Analysing outcomes of toxicology studies and developing modelling platforms to impact project decision-making
- Evaluating and interpreting data to prepare for internal governance bodies
- Working in appropriate internal and external forums to champion the use of modelling and simulation in translational safety and ADME
- Identifying opportunities and driving collaborations with internal and external stakeholders
Next Steps - Apply today!
- A PhD level education (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- A solid knowledge of the drug discovery and development process and best practices
- M&S experience supporting pharmacology or toxicology
- Experience with systems biology and machine learning
- Experience with network based approaches to modelling biological pathways
- High degree of scientific leadership as evidenced by strong publication record
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
A little about us:
At AstraZeneca, we believe the best way we can help patients is to focus on breakthrough science in order to uncover disease mechanisms and develop novel, targeted therapies that interact with them. This is at the heart of our purpose as a company: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.