Are you a communications professional interested in an opportunity to join a thriving team focused on driving the Microsoft Advertising business? Do you have a proven expertise in driving storytelling and communications strategy to reach clients, external and internal stakeholders? Do you enjoy working across functions and leading across groups to create and land your executive’s message?
The Office of the Corporate Vice President of MSA is looking for a communications professional that can own and drive the CVP’s internal and external communication strategy with the objective of promoting Microsoft Advertising’s strategy, messaging and achievements. This leader will build a comprehensive global executive communications strategy and execute the plan to propel our business, our cultural development and fiscal year priorities. He or she will be responsible for CVP communications; leveraging and synthesizing multiple inputs including product strategy, competitive information, and advertiser/partner feedback. The role will build strong relationships with Microsoft leadership across Bing and within Microsoft Advertising to align with top-level strategies.
The successful candidate will have significant communications and storytelling expertise, superior presentation skills, impactful influencing and leadership skills, and a strong understanding of online advertising products and industry. Commitment to quality, passion to learn and grow, and a zeal for making others better are all qualities we value.
As the MSA Executive Communications Lead, your responsibilities will include defining and implementing a communications framework and yearly cadence of internal and external communications moments and opportunities from the CVP of MSA to employees and external audiences. You will provide leadership and guidance to identify and prioritize internal as well as industry speaking opportunities and help define what media vehicles and outlets are most appropriate to ensure successful execution and landing of the Microsoft Advertising message externally to Microsoft. You will also provide thought leadership on how to identify and leverage executive opportunities to further build and support the Microsoft Advertising story externally through industry events, the media and client engagements.
> End-to-End CVP Communications Strategy: Create, validate and execute the CVP annual strategic communication plan spanning internal and external audiences, aligned with the Microsoft Advertising and priorities. Determine investment focus and priorities to ensure appropriate ROI.
> CVP External Communications: Drive key strategic communications with C-level clients, keynotes/talking points for first-party events (e.g. Bing Ads Next) and key industry events like Dmexco, AdWeek, Cannes, AdColor, etc, in partnership with the Bing Ads Marketing organization and PR, the CVP thought-leadership program and social engagement, as well as communications to key partners.
> CVP Internal Communications: Lead the creation of key internal communications like organizational announcements, partnerships, and rhythm of the business communications. Includes crisis management communications.
> CVP Field Engagement: End to end planning and execution of the CVP’s visits to our global offices. Visits include key external (client, partner, media) engagement as well as relevant internal meetings with employees and Microsoft leaders.
> CVP PR Plan and messaging: Partner with the Bing Ads PR lead to develop the annual media engagement plan for the CVP in alignment with the Bing Ads PR annual plan. Work together with PR lead and agency to develop crisp, strategic messaging to drive our PR business objectives and land the desired media mentions and publications.
The ideal candidate would possess:
• Communications and/or public relations experience (preferably direct industry experience).
• They must have a deep understanding of media relations and success in dealing with complex and global issues.
• This high visibility role will demand a strong mix of marketing, PR and communication skills.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to clearly articulate complex issues and formulate recommendations to a wide variety of audiences are essential.
• Capability to process massive amounts of information and feedback to deliver elegant, impactful communications.
• The ability to take abstract thoughts and re-communicate these concepts into a digestible format.
• Knowledge of online media and search advertising, including search-related advertising experience.
• Working effectively with executives is critical in this role.
• A team player with the leadership chops to take initiative, establish a plan and spark people’s best thinking and work.
• Ability to influence and build rapport with stakeholders from a variety of functions and businesses at every level of the company. Can move from big picture thinking to managing hundreds of details seamlessly.
• Leadership and confidence: willing to take on big challenges, advocate a position, build a business case, and influence others. Strong presence and confidence.
• The candidate must have a proven experience achieving successful results in a global environment.
• Optimism, resiliency and flexibility.
• Graceful under pressure.
• Exceptional storytelling
• Strategic thought leadership
• Synthesizing and simplifying
• Drives for results
• Executive/business maturity
• High interpersonal awareness
• Impact and influence, excels at cross-group collaboration
The ideal candidate is required to provide the following skills and competencies:
• BA/BS in Journalism, English or Communications (or equivalent field)
• 7+ years communications, marketing or speech management experience
• Previous experience leading project teams
• Previous experience working with senior executives in fast paced, high pressure, often ambiguous environments
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.