Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal is currently hiring a Senior Big Data Engineer to work in our San Jose, CA office. This is a great opportunity for you to join a high performing team of technologists to scale out a data platform powered to support the PayPal's state of the art analytics, data science, risk management capabilities.Job Responsibilities:
Qualifications and Requirements
- Design, develop, test and debug large scale complex data platform using cloud and big data technologies Analyze, Engineer and improve stability, efficiency, and scalability of the platform
- Work closely with Architects, lead engineers and business on product design and features.
- Prototype ideas quickly using cutting edge technologies
- Bachelor's or Master's degree or equivalent in computer science or related field with minimum of 8 years of directly related work experience.
- Experience with Unix/ Linux and shell scripting
- Experience of developing large distributed systems using core Java or Scala
- Experience in at least one scripting language such as Python or Ruby.
- Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop Map Reduce, Hive, Spark/Storm
- Experience with Kafka, Elasticsearch, Druid is a plus
- Knowledge and experience working with various data sources like web services (rest, soap), unstructured data files, flat files, message queues, xml based events, databases.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Leads product design and code reviews; can competently review any aspect of their product or major sub-system.
- Drives architecture discussions, and proposes solutions to system and product changes.
- Produces clear, well-communicated, complete designs for product features or sub-systems.
- Motivated and interested delivering results, especially in the area of writing high-performance, reliable and maintainable code.
- Ability to adapt to new development environments, changing business requirements and learning new systems highly desired.
- Experience with large distributed services is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems
- Good team player, able to effectively work across multiple teams on solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements in a fast-paced environment
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
A little about us:
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.