This opening is with Alcoa Howmet, a division of Alcoa Power and Propulsion - a world leader in the investment casting of superalloys, aluminum and titanium primarily for jet aircraft and industrial gas turbine markets. For more information on Alcoa, visit us online at www.alcoa.com/
Multiple Positions are currently open and can be staffed in the following locations: Whitehall, MI; LaPorte, IN; Dover, NJ.
Work as a team member to take a casting to meet the specifications that meet the customer's requirements.
- Must be able to read and interpret Product Criteria (PC) and Activity Instructions (AI).
- Moderate length of concentration
- Must be able to function as a member of a team and be able to work under general supervision.
- Must be able to work and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Must be able to maintain expected quality levels.
Job responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
To become cross trained in order to perform ALL or MOST OF the duties listed below, with a main concentration in FPI Certified Level II duties. When necessary, the individual may be required to move castings to designated areas or perform other work-related duties as assigned: FPI-Certified Position-Consisting
X Ray Certified Position
- Surface preparation-removing contaminants by degreasing or sand blasting.
- Application of proper penetrate and removal of excess penetrate
- Emulsifying for the specific amount of time
- Removal of excess water and drying of casting
- Application of developer
- Monitor gages on equipment and run daily and monthly test to insure system is operating within customer specifications
- Complete routing card
- Reading FPI defects to insure customer regulations
- Prioritize and coordinate product work flow through NDT processes
- Ensure product and documentation matches
- Check process documentation for proper technique
- Process product per technique:
- Setup product to be x-rayed per technique
- Tear Down
- Develop and package film to be read
- Monitor equipment operation during process
- Monitor film processing
- Restock film in darkroom
- Refilling developer and fixer tanks
- Clean film processor as required
- Fill Cassettes with clean film
- Cut film into special sizes
- Organize film at film table
- Repair torn cassettes
- Maintain cleanliness of work environment
- Interface with Level II for technical guidance pertaining to manufacturing for NDT issues
- Assist Level II in training Level I candidates
- Performs material handling
- Expectations are for Level I's to reach Level II status.
- Various duties which fall under Corporate NDT Manual and/or NDT Level III/ Area Leaders direction.
Physical Demands :
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee is required to execute the following:
- Occasional bending, reaching, pushing and pulling when retrieving and moving various items
- Lifting intermittently of various items. Typically, assistance would be provided for weights exceeding 35 pounds
- Good manual dexterity to operate computer equipment and precision measuring instruments
- Position may require more than eight hours daily and more than five days weekly to complete work assignments
- Sitting in chairs (swivel, padded, and adjustable)
- Squatting / crouching when retrieving stored items from lower shelves and file cabinets, making equipment / product inspections, etc
- Standing intermittently
- Visual monitoring of computer screens
- Visual inspection and review of products for compliance to specifications. Visual viewing of processing equipment, precision measuring instruments, prints, reports, manuals, procedures and an assortment of printed items
- Visual requirements for this position are close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Clean work areas and maintain a clean work environment; perform 5S cleaning activities as required.
Work Environment :
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are performed primarily in manufacturing areas where compliance with applicable safety rules is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts and exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level is moderate.
Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status.Basic Qualifications
- High School diploma or GED equivalency required.
- Completion of NDT Certified Level II, RT or PT to NAS-410
- Completion of Level II DR (digital radiography) certification
- Safety awareness
- Working knowledge of specific technical NDT application
- Ability to read and understand Activity Instructions in accordance with standard procedures
- Team oriented attitude
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Good communications skills, both verbal and written