This Network Engineer II position is an internal-facing support role. This role's primary responsibility is to assist in the development, engineering, deployment, configuration, break/fix resolution, security and management of a variety of networking devices and networking technologies. This position interfaces directly with our site staff, procurement teams, vendor staff, tier2/tier3 network staff, and development team.
- Responsible for technical support, on any and all IBM Bluemix Infrastructure (SoftLayer) products that are used for security and network communications: Cisco, Juniper, ASA, Fortinet, Citrix NetScaler, Array APV, etc. Core technologies include but are not limited to firewall, VPN (Virtual Private Network), load balancing, and layer 1-4.
- Receive escalations from our NOC, Network Support Engineers, Tier 3 Engineers and Management to solution and resolve customer issues.
- Provide support to sales and for customer-related network issues (both pre and post sales)
- Engage with Technical Account Managers and/or Sales Engineers to represent the networking department in discussions with VIP customers
- Interacting directly with Vendors.
- Troubleshoot and identify network issues as they are escalated and fix/escalate/document as needed/required.
- Create diagrams and other documentation of network environments for internal and customer use
- Network protocols/technologies: BGP, MPLS, OSPF, VLAN, IPv4/6, LACP, MST/PVST, IPSEC, GRE, and many others.
- Ability to recognize and prioritize critical tasks independently.
- Plan, schedule, and implement network maintenance's that include firmware upgrades and hardware replacement.
- Must be willing and able to support other engineering teams where there is cross-over expertise.
A little about us:
IBM is the world’s largest information technology company with more than 360,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries.