This Engineering position is based around optical engineering and the design, implementation and support of Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) systems within the IBM Global Cloud network. This position is full-time and the business location is in Dallas, TX.
The position will require the Engineer be directly involved with solution development and system architecture, including lab evaluation and first office applications. In addition to that the Engineer will need to be able to remotely assist field installation teams in the commissioning / test and turn-up of DWDM systems (new-builds as well as augmenting operational systems). In addition, the engineer will be tasked with creating support documentation to include rack elevations, instructional procedures, test plans, fault isolation documentation and functional process flows. The Engineer will be required to be on-call and act as senior level of support during maintenance and outage events.
- Development of detailed engineering specifications for the deployment of DWDM systems internationally.
- System Provisioning using Transaction Language 1 (TL1), CLI, WebGUI, and Element Management System
- Drafting and reviewing Request for Quote/Request for Proposals (RFQ/RFPs) for engineering
- Project managing hardware deployments, migrations, upgrades and all major activation work
- Review / Approve OTDR trace and power readings from carrier handover packages.
- Tier 3 support for major outages and chronic/systemic issues that involve DWDM electronics or Metro Dark Fiber.
- Manage carrier relations as it relates to hardware and Metro Dark Fiber infrastructure.
- Occasional travel (domestic and international) will be necessary to support some projects that include complex installation or migration tasks.
- On-Call rotation for operational needs
A little about us:
IBM is the world’s largest information technology company with more than 360,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries.