IBM Cloud has a global network that is deployed using cutting-edge platforms and is looking for high quality, driven, Network Engineers to join the Direct Link team within Backbone Engineering. This role's primary responsibility is to assist in the development, engineering, deployment, configuration, break/fix resolution, security, and management of the Direct Link products elements within the Network. This position interfaces directly with our site staff, procurement teams, vendor staff, tier2/tier3 network staff, development teams, and our Customers. This is for Houston or Dallas.
- Responsible for technical support, on any and all IBM Bluemix Infrastructure (SoftLayer) products that are used for the Direct Link Service delivery: Cisco, Juniper, Arista primarily on layer 1-4.
- Receive escalations from our NOC, Network Support Engineers, Tier 3 Engineers and Management to solution and resolve customer issues.
- Provide support to sales and for customer-related network issues (both pre and post sales)
- Engage with Technical Account Managers and/or Sales Engineers to represent the networking department in discussions with VIP customers
- Interacting directly with Vendors.
- Troubleshoot and identify network issues as they are escalated and fix/escalate/document as needed/required.
- Create diagrams and other documentation of network environments for internal and customer use
- Network protocols/technologies: BGP, MPLS, OSPF, VLAN, IPv4/6, LACP, MST/PVST, IPSEC, GRE, and many others.
- Ability to recognize and prioritize critical tasks independently.
- Plan, schedule, and implement network maintenance's that include firmware upgrades and hardware replacement.
- Must be willing and able to support other engineering teams where there is cross-over expertise.
- Be a part of an on-call rotation with the other Engineers on the team for after-hours escalations specific to the team's job scope.
A little about us:
IBM is the world’s largest information technology company with more than 360,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries.