Charter Communications is America’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products. Charter is at the intersection of technology and entertainment, facilitating essential communications that connect 24 million residential and business customers in 41 states. Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of Charter’s business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our 90,000 employees.
Individual contributor responsible for RF engineering design, testing and deployment support of 5G and other wireless broadband technologies. Will aid in defining and developing Charter’s wireless access technology intitiatives enabling wireless access within customers’ homes, businesses and on the go.
Position will require travel to field locations for testing of 5G and other technology. Travel will likely be fifty percent of the contract to hire period. Long term, travel will reduce and activities will be more lab and office focused. While in the field, this individual will oversee completion of test protocols, working with several industry-leading vendors to gather data on observed radio performance.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participate in and often lead the evaluation of wireless Radio Access Network (RAN) related infrastructure and products, closely collaborating with the Engineering and Product Development organizations, vendors, MSO partners and standards and policy organizations. Will execute trials in 5G and other technologies to evaluate capabilities in support of company requirements.
• Assess new product requirements, develop technology and architecture solutions and evaluate performance in support of those requirements.
• Produce Technical Bulletins and other relevant technical documentation for Wireless Operations in support of any new wireless network infrastructure deployed.
• Support trials for 5G and other evolving wireless technologies from an end-to-end perspective. This includes site selection, site survey and RF design as well as assisting in opportunity assessment, presentation and negotiation with potential vendors.
• Assist in developing a long-term technology evolution roadmap (3-5 years), articulating strategic decision points, technology evolution planning and recommendations with regard to technology and network infrastructure investments.
• Perform lab evaluation and field trials to validate new technology concepts in RAN, fixed wireless and wireless backhaul technologies.
• Support Charter’s mobile strategy with technology expertise to assess the feasibility of new business opportunities such as smart home technologies, assessment of 5G’s potential impact on the wired high-speed data business, and next-generation wireless video compression technologies.
• Contribute to intellectual property creation, patent filing and promotion of such IP through the contribution to relevant standards and industry forums.
• Help drive new innovative technologies and approaches for increasing the performance, reliability, and quality of experience for customers, while driving down the CPE cost.
• Develop tools and processes for site survey, RF design, deployment and operational support for WiFi & LTE and other Wireless Access Network technologies.
• Review and assesses business requirements prior to the technical solution development.
• Participate in hardware and software evaluations.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
• Strong knowledge of wireless access technologies such as 4G-LTE and Wi-Fi.
• Ideal candidate must be able to define not only access technology related terms, but the the operational theory(ies) of the technology.
• Able to troubleshoot access technology, both in the lab and when assisting Operations staff.
• Familiar with 5G principles and developments, with a strong desire to learn more about the technology.
• Experience with one or more RF planning and deployment tools, such as Atoll or Planet.
• Experience employing spectrum analyzers.
• Experience with network protocol analysis using tools, such as Wireshark, desired but not required.
• Experience with automation via scripting (e.g. Perl, Python, Shell Scripting) desired, but not required.
• Hands-on experience with a broad range of wireless access technologies including 4G-LTE.
• Basic knowledge of wired network technologies, terminology and concepts required.
• Able to work in a matrix team of engineers at various levels across the different Engineering organizations.
• Must diligently document their work, including the method and results employed.
• Ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
• Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and electronically.
• Ideal candidate possesses good interpersonal skills and is able to communicated with others in a concise and factual manner.
• Ideal candidate possesses technical aptitude in their chosen discipline and matches it with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
BS in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Technology or equivalent.
Related Work Experience Number of Years
Radio Frequency Engineering 3-5
Technology management experience working with the top MSOs, Telco,
satellite operators or major wireless vendors. 3-5
Skills /Abilities and Knowledge
Management experience – Not required.
Office environment and travel.
Charter is an equal opportunity employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is the Law poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Charter is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different.