The Network Engineer IV – Core Optical Transport will be responsible for designing, deploying, and managing the LAN/WAN network infrastructure; ensuring the stability, fault tolerance, and scalability of the network. This position will specialize in the design, implementation, and support of optical networks and ROADM/OTN transport systems.
A high level of competence in LAN/WAN technologies will be required; this includes routing and switching as well as optical networking. Represents the Engineering Department, working closely with regional Architects and Engineers in designing, modeling, and implementing new technologies within the Market. Performs moves, adds, and changes to equipment and systems, specifically following the designated change management policies.
• Develop innovative solutions; maintain network monitoring and management tools, and document procedures.
• Configure, service, and support network equipment, both active and passive, in the core and edge network.
• Troubleshoots and resolves critical network and system issues.
• Project management document project requirements including scope, costs, schedule, testing and terms of delivery to ensure project is completed with highest level of quality, on time, and within budget.
• Mentors and trains other Engineering personnel in key elements of networking systems and provide technical presentations to instruct co-workers and other production services support individuals.
• Research and identify technology opportunities and their application to the business.
• Test and validate all new hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance.
• As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after-hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all necessary equipment.
• Track all equipment RMA's and ensure that proper levels of spare inventory are maintained.
Other duties as required.
• 5+ years’ experience designing large network solutions; experience with WAN technologies is preferred.
• Expert knowledge of DWDM, SONET, ROADM, and fiber optic characteristics; experience with Cisco, Ciena/Nortel, or Infinera preferred.
• Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of LAN, WAN, and telecommunication equipment.
• Understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical, knowledge of BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM, MPLS, and RIP.
• Must have the ability to lead meetings, facilitate understanding and agreement, and lead network deployments.
• Must be able to function effectively and collaboratively in a team environment to accomplish team goals.
• Must have demonstrated experience utilizing structured change and project management methodologies.
• Must be able to perform project management functions, such as developing logical and efficient project plans, establishing priorities, anticipating and avoiding problems, monitoring and managing task completion; providing guidance and training to team members as needed.
• Experience developing disaster recovery and business continuation plans preferred.
• In depth knowledge of Networking Protocols (IPv4, IPv6...)
• In depth knowledge of Routing Protocols (BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM, MPLS, RIPŠ)
• In depth knowledge of Optical Networking (DWDM, ROADMs)
• In depth knowledge of Hybrid Fiber Coax and DOCSIS Technologies
• In depth knowledge of Security Technologies
• In depth knowledge of Traffic Engineering/Modeling
• In depth knowledge of Data Analysis/Modeling
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.