Network Operations Aruba Networks Wireless Engineer
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting-edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 125 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making. Developing cutting-edge technology takes the culmination and collaboration of bright, talented people, and forward-thinking leadership. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our Shared Values, come together to make us one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For.”
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious Technology Professionals who are passionate about wireless networking to join our team! This is an opportunity to display knowledge of your craft by having a hand in designing and building large scale wireless networks as well as showcasing your expert level troubleshooting skills in support of them. As the preferred method of providing network connectivity to our associates and guests at our major People Centers, our wireless network has a major impact on the way that Capital One associates do business, so ensuring is it always performing optimally is critical. You will be an integral part in advancing the culture of technical excellence within Capital One, and helping our associates create experiences that will delight millions of customers!
On any given day you will:
- Tenaciously manage the performance of wireless environment to ensure it is operating at peak performance levels by proactively monitoring the environment and tuning it as necessary.
- Drive incident and problem resolution as a Tier 3 escalation resource
- Consult with other technology support groups as part of problem resolution efforts
- Assist with implementation of wireless network designs
- Assess security vulnerabilities, identify mitigation plans and successfully implement them
- Contribute to enterprise wireless network strategy development efforts and technology refresh efforts
- Provide input to enterprise wireless network design standards; maintain standard documentation, wireless network topology diagrams, and network management tools
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams
- Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to junior personnel
- Manage and govern relationships with wireless technology vendors
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements
- Serve as mentor and technical resource to more junior associates; train other associates through one-on-one or group technical discussions.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Exceptional interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills, including the ability to document solutions, present ideas to cross-functional teams, and explain operational issue background/root cause to vendors and senior leaders
Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong to advanced knowledge of RF/802.11 WLAN application/theory, design, and industry best practices. In depth knowledge of WiFi security, 802.11 site surveying, implementation, and validation techniques
- A solid understanding of OSPF, route maps, route redistribution, and QoS
- High level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load balancing, global load balancing, routing, switching, IP subnetting, basic wireshark trace interpretation, and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience using network management tools and packet captures to resolve operational issues
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design
- A belief that standardization and automation is the path to happiness
- Automation skills. You know how to script and automate.
- A bias toward action, along with an internal drive for continuous improvement
- Curiosity. You ask why, you explore, you’re not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. It didn’t really kill the cat.
- No fear. Big, undefined problems and operational issues don’t frighten you. You can work at a tiny crack until you’ve broken open the whole nut and then clearly explain the issue in a manner that people who aren’t as knowledgeable in your area of expertise can understand.
- A passion for teamwork
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment that embraces rapid change, emphasizes continuous learning, and attacks new challenges
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in an on-call rotation will be required.
- High school diploma, GED, equivalent certification or military experience
- At least 2 years’ experience technical leadership of a large enterprise network or 2 years’ experience of large enterprise projects or at least 2 years’ experience of a large enterprise infrastructure
- At least 4 years’ experience in all aspects of Wireless LAN engineering or at least 4 years’ experience of Wireless LAN operational support
- At least 1 year experience with 802.11 WLAN site surveying
- At least 2 years’ experience with Cisco or Aruba Wireless technologies
- Bachelor’s degree
- CWNP Certification
- WLAN Vendor Certification
- 4 years’ experience technical leadership of a large enterprise network
- 4 years’ experience of large enterprise projects
- 4 years’ experience of a large enterprise infrastructure
- 5 years’ experience in all aspects of Wireless LAN engineering or 5 years’ experience of Wireless LAN operational support
- 4 years’ experience designing or supporting AAA identity-based access solutions for WLAN deployments
4 years’ experience with Aruba networks technologies
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.