Network Operations F5 Load Balancer Engineer
The Candidate for this position must have an understanding of load balancing strategies/ techniques, expertise in application switching / traffic management, knowledge of persistence and SSL certificates and troubleshooting methodologies. A general understanding of HTTP/HTTPS predicted behavior
and the ability to perform and analyze packet captures to assist in identifying issues and recommend solutions.
- Provide Tier 3 technical support within the Operations Advance Support team;
Acting as a technical thought-leader to work effectively in a highly diverse
technical environment to lead escalated critical issues to problem resolution.
- Implement enterprise Load Balancing strategy, design solutions, and ongoing
technology refresh and enhancements to meet lifecycle management and
- Complete change control, problem management and root cause analysis
processes in accordance with company policies, for execution of
implementations and changes to the network environment.
- Develop documentation, including diagrams, specifications and
- Provide Technical leadership and guidance to junior personnel for complex F5
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements.
- Utilize relationships with technology vendors to solve complex problems
The ideal candidate should have:
- A strong understanding of F5 iRules (F5’s TCL scripting language) enabling
customization of application load balancing solutions through the control and
direct manipulation of the application traffic.
- Expertise in application switching and traffic management, deep
knowledge of application requirements (such as persistence), understand SSL
offload and implementation of SSL certificate and Key.
- A strong understanding in F5 Viprion products and virtualization
- Knowledge of F5 LTM and GTM hardware platforms including engineering
design and deployment implementation guidelines
- Candidate must have admin experience with F5 configuration CLI including
both BigPipe and Traffic Management Shell (TMSH)
- Knowledgeable of F5 system logging event types and logging levels
- Experienced in VIP creation, certificate updates, SSL profile creation, pool
creation and pool member modification
- Understanding of F5 GTM solutions, including WideIP and Pool Load Balancing
Methods, probers and monitors
- Experience with advanced health checks within LTM
- Experience with packet capture analysis software is required
- The ability to engage and influence team members as well as people external to
- High level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load
balancing, global load balancing, and routing.
- Strong critical thinking, complex problem solving, appropriate judgment, and
decision making skills.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical topics to management and non-technical audiences, as well as interface with the customer on a daily basis
- Experience with F5 technologies (LTM, GTM, V9, V10, V11)
- F5 Technology Specialist or F5 Certified BIP-IP Administrator or Solution Expert Level Certification
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in an on-call rotation will be required.
- High school diploma, GED, equivalent certification or military experience
- At least 2 years experience in technical leadership in IT projects
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Load Balancing
- At least 5 years experience with F5 technologies
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Routing Engineering.
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Switching Engineering.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- 4 Years experience in Technical Leadership in IT projects
- 10 Years experience in all technical aspects of Load Balancing Engineering
- 10 Years of experience with F5 load balancing experience
- 2 Years experience with Cisco Nexus or 2 Years experience with Cisco Catalyst platforms.
- Proficient with VISIO for technical design documentation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.