This is a 25 bed newborn nursery and 13 bed NICU specializing in the care of Newborns and babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Diagnoses respiratory distress, congenital defects, extreme preterm, near term and term infants. The unit serves clients in age groups including newborn, and preterm infants. The unit is a Level 1 and Level 3 NICU. The Newborn Nursery and NICU cares for approximately 1200 newborns and families annually. Patients are received from the LDR unit and the newborn nursery after successfully transitioning and stabilization post-delivery as well as transports from outlying hospitals. The unit serves clients 24 hours per day 365 days per year. POSITION SUMMARY:
Provide professional nursing care to patients utilizing the nursing process. To collaborate with other members of the health care delivery team including physicians, to deliver quality health care. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of the nursing process.
- Participates and cooperates in the unit based Quality Improvement processes.
- Supports, maintains and provides an environment which is supportive of quality patient care through effective use of resources and personnel.
- Practices, develops and endorses customer service skills in relationships with internal and external customers.
- Serves as the patient and family advocate with respect to the patient's right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
- Plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and the age of the patient.
- Evaluates and documents patient response; monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychosocial status; takes appropriate action based on assessment of the patient.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, qualify of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing required
• BSN preferred LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION:
• State of Georgia RN License required
• BLS - AHA Healthcare Provider required
• NRP within 90 days of hire required
• STABLE within 90 days of hire required EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
• Acute care experience preferred SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
• Reads and writes Basic English with the basic skills necessary to transcribe physician's orders
• Knowledge of body substance isolation
• Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partners needs
• Basic computer skills