is a 266-bed acute-care hospital that offers 24/7 Emergency Services in Leon and Gadsden Counties including; a Pediatric ER, Senior Care ER and an Express Care ER. Offerings also include a Bariatric Center, Behavioral Health Center, Cancer Center, Chest Pain Center w/PCI, Comprehensive Breast Center, Family Center, Heart & Vascular Center, Orthopedic Center, Physical Therapy Services, Seniors First, Sleep Center, Stroke Center, Surgical Services, Wound Healing Center, Network-of-Care Affiliated Physician Practices, and more. POSITION SUMMARY:
The Nurse Navigator functions as a member of the multidisciplinary team as an advocate and educator for patients from pre-surgery, through diagnostic studies, diagnosis and treatment plan (surgery) for Neuro Spine/Orthopedic patients. The Nurse Navigator's primary function is to build a relationship with patients and physicians, to coordinate a plan of care including appointments, transportation, education, provision and / or enablement of support services and representation within the multidisciplinary care environment. The Navigator also assumes responsibility and accountability for the management of resources to achieve efficient, high quality outcomes for each neuro spine/orthopedic patient including support for interdisciplinary and cross facility collaboration e.g. neuro spine and orthopedic educational community seminars, and referrer communication. On an aggregate level, the Nurse Navigator will track performance of the program in line with HCA, division and facility goals (growth, quality, practice guidelines, etc.) and identify opportunities to streamline care practice, for example through development of evidence-based guidelines. Lead the Neuro Spine and Ortho Steering Committee(s) and oversee Joint Commission Certification for the Knee, Hip and Spine Programs. The Nurse Navigator will serve as a liaison between the patient and family, primary care physician, internal and external care providers, specialists, referrers, support network members e.g. social workers, and the wider healthcare community. This role will include conducting internal and external outreach and marketing. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Serve as patient advocate from first pre-surgical event to surgery through follow-up.
- Assess patients' medical, social and psychosocial and other care needs
- Provide appropriate teaching, outreach, and education to patients and families. The aim of this work being to ensure the patient is empowered to manage his or her own health.
- Streamline appointments and paperwork by helping patients with scheduling appointments and preparation.
- Coach and help patients to remove barriers with issues of insurance, transportation, child care, financial resources, language so they may focus on getting the care they need.
- Initiate referrals to hospital and community resources to connect patients with resources and support systems.
- Conduct follow-up conversations as needed with all patients and communicate concerns, changes, or social needs in patient health to appropriate MD or other appropriate care providers.
- Attend Interdisciplinary Rounds, Neuro Spine and Orthopedic Steering Committees, and other meetings as necessary.
- Track and document interventions and outcomes.
- Drive process improvement.
- Conduct outreach to referrers, providers and other medical professionals as well as to the corporate "customer‟ community.
- Stay current on the latest neuro spine and orthopedic nursing developments and participate in conferences.
- Participate in training and education for hospital nurses on latest developments in the neuro spine and orthopedic nursing profession.
- Ensure service continuity.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited school of nursing required
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Current licensure as a registered nurse required
- AHA Healthcare Provider required
- Orthopedic Nursing (ONC) certification achieved or in progress preferred
- Minimum five (5) years neuro spine/orthopedic nursing experience required
- Experience in program development preferred
- Experience as a nurse navigator and / or patient educator in neuro spine and/or orthopedics preferred
- Experience in leadership preferred
- Experience in customer service preferred
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus #TalentLivesHere
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom