North Florida Regional Healthcare
is an organization centered around the community hospitals in Gainesville, Florida -- North Florida Regional Medical Center (NFRMC) and Lake City Medical Center (LCMC). NFRMC is a 432-bed, full-service medical and surgical acute care center serving North Central Florida and offering comprehensive cardiovascular care , oncology , orthopedics , neurosciences , minimally-invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery , weight loss surgery and treatment , women's health and wound therapy , among other services. A proven leader, NFRMC is fully accredited, is certified as a Primary Stroke Center and a Quality Top Performer by The Joint Commission in four consecutive years, is an accredited Chest Pain Center, is designated as a Blue Distinction™ Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, Spine Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and recognized by U.S. News & World Report for its High-Performing Gynecology Program in 2010. Position Summary:
The Oncology Lung Nurse Navigator functions as a member of the multidisciplinary team and serves as an advocate and educator for cancer patients, from diagnosis through end of active treatment.
The Adult Oncology Nurse Navigator's primary function is to ensure the patient remains compliant to the treatment plan. Navigators achieve this goal by building relationships with patients and physicians, coordinating the plan of care, assisting with appointments, transportation needs, education, resource provision and/or representation within the multidisciplinary care environment. The Navigator also assumes responsibility and accountability for the management of resources to achieve efficient, high-quality outcomes for cancer patients, including support with interdisciplinary and cross-facility coverage and collaboration.
The Navigator will serve as a liaison between the patient and family, all physicians involved in that patient's care, internal and external healthcare providers, support network members, and the wider healthcare community. Skills and Abilities:
- Tenacity, self-motivation and initiative necessary to drive the navigation program
- Demonstrates behaviors of a team player
- Adaptable to the changing needs of the patient, team, and work environment
- Ability to advocate for the patient and champion excellence in the provision of care
- Attend Multi-Disciplinary Meetings and advocate for patient needs
- Participate in national oncology nursing organizations and programs
- Ability to comprehensively assess patient/family psychosocial and care needs
- Understanding of Thoracic Oncology or basic oncology including Lung cancers
- Ability to effectively and efficiently track the care delivery process for each patient with the attention to detail to identify where intervention is required
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to collaborate with physician offices for appointment scheduling and attendance
- Ability to self-direct, including prioritization of multiple simultaneous tasks
- Ability to empathetically, openly and supportively communicate both verbally and in written media
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural needs
- Ability to seek regular input in order to build/foster strong self-awareness
Type of Experience-
- Minimum 1-3 years of registered nursing experience
- Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Active Registered Nurse License
Type of Experience-
Qualifications: Education Required and/or Preferred:
- Experience in program development
- Experience as a nurse navigator and/or patient educator in oncology
- Experience in leadership
- Experience in customer service
- 1-5 years oncology nursing experience
- 1-5 years thoracic nursing experience
- Current OCN or in process
- Associate's degree in nursing required, Bachelor's degree in nursing preferred.
- State of Florida Registered Nurse (RN) license required.
- BLS required.
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) certification or in process.
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus