Merck & Co., Inc., known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Medical Affairs Team Leader's primary role is the leadership, management, and accountability of a regionally-based team of ~8-10 Oncology Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) and their deliverables.
Leadership and Management:
- Recruiting, on-boarding, training and management of a team of field-based oncology medical professionals.
- Responsible for all aspects of the performance management process, including assessment of oncology MSLs' performance to objectives and competencies. Assessment is accomplished by routine field observation/coaching visits, peer colleague/ program development feedback and field/customer metric analysis. Personal development plans are developed and monitored for each oncology MSL.
- Responsible for the communication of oncology disease state support plans to team and the execution of the agreed plan.
- Provides input on resource development and coordinates the utilization of resources to assist with the development of the team and individual team members.
- Responsible for ensuring that all team members comply with the intent and application of Merck policies and regulations and driver safety in the field environment.
Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Supports the Executive Director (ED) US Oncology Medical Affairs, Strategy Lead and Content Training Director (CTD) in the development and execution of strategic disease state support plans of the oncology team.
- Supports the ED via project management required to ensure development and execution of oncology support plans.
- As needed, provides project support to the Oncology Global Medical Affairs organization
- Effectively manages regional team budget.
- Review and approve routine expense reports, as applicable and appropriate.
- MD, PharmD, or PhD with fellowship in biomedical field
- A minimum of 7 years of field-based medical affairs experience
- A minimum of 4 years of oncology medical affairs experience (field or headquarters based)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and coach scientific / medical colleagues at all skill and knowledge levels
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, strong personal integrity, teamwork abilities (including the ability to lead a oncology team across a geographical area), business acumen, and focus on scientific education and dialogue.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its customers to ensure compliance with all external and internal guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment and to motivate a team to do the same.
- Previous management experience of professional employees, especially field-based medical personnel.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), and ability to interface effectively with a variety of technical platforms for the collection, review, and dissemination of medical information.
- Scientific/medical research experience, including demonstrated record of scientific/medical publication.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement