Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Principal Medical Writer (PMW) is a key member of the Medical Writing team. The PMW is responsible for development and management of medical writing deliverables that support the clinical regulatory writing portfolio and is capable of working independently to achieve goals. The PMW will support the Oncology therapeutic area including Early or Late Phase development.
In this role the Principal Medical Writer:
*This is a remote based position. The ideal candidate will be based in NC, SC, TN or GA. Qualifications:
- Is recognized as a significant scientific contributor and subject matter expert in preparation of regulatory clinical documentation.
- Applies in-depth knowledge of regulatory medical writing and therapeutic area/investigational product to support pipeline projects. Represents functional area in cross-functional teams (either internally or externally).
- Produces high-quality and timely documentation in line with expectations. Interprets and applies knowledge of regulatory/compliance/scientific requirements, using own judgment, prior work experience, and broad appreciation of impact on other disciplines.
- Leads and manages medical writing projects including the design, planning, and preparation of clinical documentation in support of clinical development (e.g., program level standards), trials (e.g., CSRs), and filings (e.g., clinical modules). Works collaboratively with colleagues across functions to achieve results.
- Solves complex problems associated with medical writing scope of work, involving ambiguous situations across departments and the need to develop new options to resolve.
- Oversees the work of other medical writers, providing scientific and operational mentorship and coaching in the design, planning, and execution of their assignments. Provides feedback to their managers on development plans and performance reviews.
- Provides leadership for medical writing processes, standards, and innovative initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree in the Life Sciences with at least 10 years of experience as a medical writer preparing regulated documents in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry OR
- MS Degree in the Life Sciences with at least 8 years of experience as a medical writer preparing regulated documents in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry OR
- PhD in the Life Sciences with at least 6 years experience as a medical writer preparing regulated documents in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry
- Ability to prepare, without supervision, core clinical regulatory documents according to company guidelines and international governmental regulations and to present clinical data objectively in a clear, concise format in keeping with industry guidelines.
- Provide leadership of and management for complex documentation projects and project teams of medical writers.
- Technical expertise in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, document management systems, and familiarity with SharePoint and concepts of structured content management.
- Excellent oral (including presentation) and written communication, and project management skills. Awareness of pharmaceutical industry needs beyond clinical development.
- Successful preparation of Common Technical Document clinical modules.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement