Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Scientific Director (SD) is a therapeutic and disease expert who is responsible for facilitating and developing relationships with the medical/scientific community who have potential interest in participating in Merck research studies (ISTs, Company Sponsored). This position will report to the Team Leader - Scientific Director (within Global Center for Scientific Affairs).
- Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key investigators, institutions, research consortia and cooperative groups.
- Identifies and addresses investigators scientific needs while staying abreast of current scientific and research trends.
- Supports company sponsored trials by interacting with primary investigators, assisting in site identification, and delivering scientific education using approved resources.
- Conducts peer-to-peer scientific discussions and maintains a reliable presence with scientific leaders to ensure medical contact within Merck.
- Supports the Merck Investigator Initiated Study Program (MISP) including data generation activities, dissemination of Merck areas of research interest and communication of MISP review and operational processes to potential and existing investigators.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of assigned disease and therapeutic areas through training and self-education, including review of key journals and attendance at relevant conferences and workshops.
- Represents MRL at scientific meetings including pipeline booth support, scientific congresses and symposia's, MRL advisory and investigator meetings.
- Demonstrates a high level of leadership to mentor new hires and serves as a scientific medical expert in one's therapeutic/disease area to train team members.
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills, takes on increasing levels of responsibility, and serves as a team lead on MRL cross-functional initiatives.
- Fully complies with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
- An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.) is required with prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare education environment
- Ability to travel up to 65% as required per this position.
- The ideal candidate will reside within the position territory:
- A minimum of 5 years direct therapeutic experience is required.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills with experience providing evidence based scientific and clinical information to HCPs
- Knowledge of therapeutic treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG guidelines
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills are required.
- Must have the ability to network and partner with important external customers, including Scientific Leaders, investigators, academic institutions, large group practices, NCI Cooperative Group leadership
- Must possess demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and is able to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority.
- Must demonstrate deep therapeutic competency; stays abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area.
- Clinical trial development experience
- Prior Medical/Scientific Liaison experience in supported therapeutic areas
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement