Oncology Translational Medicine Team Lead (TMTL) - D08
Bristol-Myers Squibb is actively conducting translational medicine research to further our understanding of cancer biology and to identify which patient populations may be more likely to derive benefit from Immuno-Oncology (I-O) and other therapies. Bristol-Myers Squibb has long believed the future of cancer research is dependent on investments in science and partnerships. Collaboration is integrated into our organizational framework across translational medicine and R&D.
We are seeking a candidate who brings deep scientific experience with an emphasis on biomarkers, in depth knowledge of the oncology disease area, a clinical development perspective, and matrix management expertise to the role. This role will report to the Head of Precision Medicine within the Translational Medicine Division of R&D. Role Responsibilities
- Represents and accountable for all TM functions (including Biomarkers, Pharmacodiagnostics (PDx), Translational Sciences, Integrated Sciences, Enabling Solutions, Bioinformatics and Translational Biology) in establishing the TM asset strategy
- Responsible for the translational medicine strategy as a core member of Early and/or late Asset Development Teams (EADT/DTs). Facilitates necessary governance reviews for strategy endorsement.
- Responsible for developing and implementing TM aspects of clinical development plans.
- Partners with Clinical, Biostatistics, Regulatory, Discovery, Clinical Operations, Project Management and other development team members to develop and implement scientific strategies for biomarker and diagnostic development.
- Partners with Medical Affairs and Commercial to develop Medical and Communication strategies.
- Participates in strategic overview of presentations, publications and internal/external communications along with accountable Translational Medicine Leadership.
- Manages and integrates Translational Medicine issues for resolution among the broad Translational Medicine matrixed team subject matter experts
- Accountable to ensure well-crafted and focused biomarker and patient selection hypotheses, experimental design, execution, interpretation and delivery of biomarker data seamlessly integrated with clinical data
- Provides leadership to prioritize biomarkers for pull through to PDx, and seamless efficient transition to PDx development and commercialization
- Accountable for all EADT/DT PDx deliverables including co-development and regulatory submissions in partnership with diagnostic companies.
- Accountable for ensuring appropriate and focused resourcing requests are made with appropriate discipline
- In partnership with Medical Affairs, provides input and maintains an overview of all ISRs related to assigned EADT/DT(s)
- Accountable for the scientific input and review into all biomarker aspects of protocols aligned with EADT/DT objectives while ensuring alignment with TM Leadership Team and other key stakeholders
- Accountable for the scientific input and review into all biomarker aspects of clinical study reports, regulatory documentation and regulatory responses.
- Ensures that TM team is focused on key issues and that individual asset strategies and plans are integrated with broader TM strategy (across assigned EADT/DTs)
- Contributes to due diligence efforts relating to technologies, asset acquisition/licensing etc.
- MD or PhD, or equivalent advanced biology degreeExperienced scientist with 12 years' experience in the drug discovery and development process.
- Documented experience in oncology drug development (small molecule and biologic / immuno-oncology) in one or more major disease areas (e.g. melanoma, lung cancer, hematologic cancers, lymphoma, etc.)
- Deep understanding of the role of translational research/medicine and clinical biomarkers in drug development. Pharmocodiagnostics experience highly desired but not required.
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, confident, and collaborative scientist with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and show the ability to prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability of working effectively to influence stakeholders in a highly dynamic matrix organization such as BMS.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where speed is paramount
- Willing to work as a topic expert, outside of a traditional functional environment, in a team unified around serving the assets
- Ability to recognize, articulate, and accept calculated risks to make informed decisions
- Demonstrated experience in the appropriate application of various scientific technologies into translational research strategies
- Working knowledge of all functional areas of drug development, including, biology, toxicology, clinical development, diagnostic development, etc.
- Demonstrated scientific acumen and mechanistic understanding of disease biology.
- Proven leadership experience and success with leading teams. Act as an inclusive leader.
- Operates with independence, and possesses the confidence and fortitude to take principled positions.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment that includes interactions with multiple stakeholder groups; particularly demonstrated ability to work across the critical interfaces whether within RD or across the enterprise.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, high level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner.
A little about us:
Our shared focus to become a Diversified Specialty BioPharma company is driving us forward. Pioneering in new areas of research.