GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Contributes to the company by utilizing the nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care given to the surgical patient during the intra-operative period. Plans and delivers safe, effective nursing care until the patient is transferred from his/her care to the recovery R.N. Performs duties of the circulating or scrub role in caring for all age patients. SUPERVISOR -
Nurse Manager, Nurse Supervisor, or designee. SUPERVISES
- None CLASSIFICATION
- Non-Exempt Looking for Qualified candidates for new Multispecialty ASC. Great opportunity with No Call, No Holidays and No Weekends. Must have experience in ENT, Ortho, GYN, and General surgery. OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Age Specific Care:
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical , or specialized skills required for the role of the peri-operative nurse in accordance with AORN and other regulatory standards of practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and has the ability to oversee the instrument and equipment set-up, prepare for the case utilizing preference cards, and anticipates needs of surgeon.
- Coordinates and oversees the room during a case as the circulator.
- Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures.
- Utilizes preference cards and updates as necessary.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Demonstrates knowledge of management of patient, including : being available to anesthesia during intubation and extubation, assisting as needed in sudden changes in patient condition and being readily available to assist as directed.
- Performs thorough patient interview and assessment in accordance with procedure and assures an appropriate, detailed time out process is done according to policy.
- Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance with documentation protocols prior to and after the surgical procedure. Assures appropriate consent, H/P, diagnostic reports, and relevant information are on chart prior to the start of procedure.
- Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure.
- Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form are consistent prior to placing in medical chart.
- Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. review physician orders, pre-op antibiotics, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, utilizing the 7 medication rights, identifying high alert medications, conducting independent double checks when indicated, and narcotic waste, etc.). Assures only licensed personnel administer medications.
- Relays appropriate hand off communication to PACU staff to ensure continuity of care.
- Performs nurse circulator duties as assigned.
- Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or prior to the induction of anesthesia.
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics, biohazardous materials, and surgical specimens.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
- Assures all members of the surgical team comply with principles of surgical hand asepsis, aseptic, and sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center's goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS/PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
BEHAVIORAL SPECIFIC EXPECTATIONS:
- The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric populations.
• Adheres to all company and Center policies .
• Adheres to HCA Code of Conduct and HIPAA requirements.
• Adheres to personnel policies which specify privileges and responsibilities of employment, including : compliance with an adverse incident reporting system, quality improvement program, patient safety initiatives, and risk management program.
• Participates in Best Practices, Quality/Risk Initiatives, RCA's and other teams to improve patient care.
• Interacts with patients, fellow employees, physicians, and other stakeholders in a manner which encourages quality patient care, harmonious working relationships, positive customer relations, and enhances the image and reputation of the center.
• Demonstrates dependability and accountability.
• Demonstrates a willingness to help others.
• Supports the center's mission by providing flexibility in assignment changes, dependability in attendance, punctuality, timely completion of assignments.
• Maintains a professional image through proper attire, language, and conduct.
• Keeps management informed of any malfunctions in instruments, equipment, and supplies.
• Displays willingness to speak up about safety issues or change practices to enhance safety.
• Asks for help when neededQualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Looking for Qualified candidates for new Multispecialty ASC. Great opportunity with No Call, No Holidays and No Weekends. Must have experience in ENT, Ortho, GYN, and General surgery. Must have experience dealing with Children.
- Maintains current knowledge of surgical procedures and techniques.
- Broad knowledge of anesthesia care and when to assist anesthesia team.
- Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
- Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level disinfectant, and sterilization procedures.
- Ability to identify and select instruments and equipment necessary for surgical procedures and appropriately interpret information on preference cards.
- Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, and accurate.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems, and objectives.
- Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient's cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
- Possesses critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions.
- Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills.
- Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills
- Computer Skills - Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
- Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
• Minimum 2 years experience in an operating room setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center. CERTIFICATION/LICENSE:
• Active RN license as required by state of employment.
• Valid BCLS Certification upon employment. ***online certification not acceptable.
• ACLS as required by facility.
• CNOR certification preferred. PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work hours are variable based on patient care needs;
• Ability to sit and stand for prolong periods of time, ability to walk, some bending, stooping and stretching;
• Capability for overhead and low reaching activities;
• Requires coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and occasional use of other office equipment;
• Requires normal range of hearing/eyesight/voice projection to record, prepare, and communicate appropriately;
• Physical strength for equipment needs and patient care activities; may require frequent lifting/moving up to 50 pounds and occasional lifting/moving in excess of 50 pounds;
• Ability to move quickly in response to patient needs;
• Ability to make constant/frequent judgment/response to problem;
• Exposure to noisy equipment;
• Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, high stress/pressure, handles emergency or crisis situations, regular interaction with emotional patients and/or family members;
• Work is performed in a patient care setting and may involve exposure to infections, communicable diseases and hazardous materials, radiation/laser, waste gases and blood and body fluids. Frequent exposure to water and chemicals used in disinfection/sterilization process.
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom