Location: Wabash, Indiana - United States JOB TITLE:
Operations and Technical LeaderPRIMARY PURPOSE
The Wabash, Indiana Plant Operations and Technical Leader has responsibility for operations and ensures that all manufacturing processes are robust and operationally capable for the manufacture of product that meets quality requirements and cost objectives. He/she will provide technical and operational leadership in the resolution of manufacturing problems, effectively communicating with all levels of the organization, including internal customers and suppliers. The person in this position helps to implement organizational strategies, standards, and practices to achieve best-in-class performance. He/she will succeed by effectively engaging all levels of the operation. He/she leads the creation and the execution of the operations strategy for the plant and is a member of the plant NLT team.Reports to
: Directly to the plant leader and is an integral partner in executing the technical, operations, and quality strategy for the plant.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Living the Safety stand and adhering to the safety responsibilities
- Ensure a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and build a culture where safety is a first priority
- Ensure a clear and effective measurement system is followed and used to drive results; reward and celebrate safe behavior and achievements; ensure accountability
- Ensure that all control plans, work instructions, and other procedures related to the technical operation of the production lines are in place
- Lead and support safety initiatives and processes to drive towards zero safety incidents.
- Knowing the business and our customers
- Create an environment where all employees are engaged, empowered and focused on serving our customers
- Develop relationships with customers and understand what it takes to ensure OC manufactures products that they define as high quality, and participate in developing solutions for serving our customers
- Interact with customers and application engineers to better understand customer service expectations-translate those to the plant floor so we can meet or exceed
- Ensure consistent production of quality products on time and at the lowest possible cost; operate with a zero defect mindset
- Executing Strategy across the organization
- Determine organizational objectives and priorities in support of the Plant's strategy and vision and develop teams to deliver results and ensure strong execution
- Live the values and vision of the company and establish an engaged production workforce characterized by mutual trust, open communications, teamwork, and recognition
- Ensure operational procedures exist and are followed to deliver product specifications and quality metrics are met to fulfill customers' needs
- Ensure timely and accurate production to schedules in order to meet or exceed delivery to promise
- Prepare budgets around labor, capital, production, and facility improvements
- Partner with relevant stakeholders to identify and address process improvement opportunities to eliminate waste, enhance safety, reduce cost, increase capacity and productivity and improve the end product
- Use various tools (Lean/Kaizen, etc) to drive improved productivity and plant performance and build a lean culture. Utilize data driven decision-making processes, such as Six Sigma
- Driving Technical, Process and Quality Improvements
- Identify and lead new process developments
- Set clear and measurable expectations, in line with plant goals; proactively analyzes and manages all relative performance metrics
- Effectively communicate objectives holding people accountable to deliver results
- Partner with peers to operate with zero environmental non-conformities maintaining compliance to applicable company, government and regulatory policies
- Administer and ensure strict adherence to business quality program, resulting in consistent and high product quality to customers
- Actively drive understanding of customer requirements and the relationship to plant process variables to ensure products meet the customer FFU at all times
- Ensure that all customer complaints are recorded, communicated plant wide and thoroughly investigated with corrective action preventing recurrence
- Develop, evaluate, improve and document manufacturing processes / controls
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of the process solutions
- Apply statistical methods/data analytics to estimate future manufacturing requirements
- Prepare capital budgets for process/technical improvements
- Leading and Developing Talent
- Create and sustain a culture where talent is developed through effective performance management and talent evaluation
- Effectively staff the organization by leveraging the appropriate mix of internal and external talent to satisfy both near-term performance and long-term succession needs
- Ensure a positive, creative, diverse and collaborative work environment where employees own the success of the business
- Plan, promote and organize training activities to constantly elevate the capabilities of our employees
- Establish clear and measurable performance expectations and holds direct reports accountable for delivering the goals
- Actively participate in talent reviews to regularly evaluate the strengths and development opportunities, while investing in the growth and development of direct reports and others to achieve sustained success
- Maintain documentation, tracking, counseling and executing coaching and corrective action when performance issues occur
JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Lead across the plant
- Drive alignment between plant departments
- Share best practices, challenge thinking and provide candid and respectful feedback; set an example for the organization of how teamwork and partnerships should work
- Be seen as a great leader amongst peers both across the plant and sister plants, driving engagement and supporting cross-functional projects and teams
- Assist the plant leader with other duties as required
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related discipline
- 4+ Yrs. Combined work experience in Engineering and Quality leadership.
- A minimum of seven years progressive leadership experience in a manufacturing facility or environment
- Experience in leading, assessing and developing talent to deliver results
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated capability in change management
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management and all hourly employees
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Lean Certification preferred
- Lean manufacturing experience preferred
About Owens Corning
- Engages and cares for others, starting with safety
- Customer orientation: Has an external perspective and understands that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to serve our customers.
- Achieves results fast, individually and through teams
- Takes business risks, grows from failures, celebrates successes
- Likes people and working in teams
- Demonstrates strategic planning and thinking while executing operations plans
- Creates a vivid picture that excites employees, customers and partners about winning and what it takes to win. Exudes energy that is contagious and instills in others a passion to excel and the confidence to achieve more than is believed possible.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization
- Continuous improvement mindset. Utilizes data and data collection systems, and Six Sigma methodology for problem-solving and decision-making to eliminate manufacturing losses and unnecessary costs.
- Acts as a leader amongst peers: Expected to embrace and help drive division initiatives throughout the business unit. Acts as a mentor for other leaders across the plant.
- Demonstrates a strong self-awareness of one's strengths, development needs and the impact of one's own behavior on others; and consistently takes actions to be better.
- A balanced sense of self-confidence and an abiding respect for others. Prioritizes strong personal wellbeing in order to maximize and fortify their contribution to the business. Operates in a transparent fashion without a personal agenda.
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
A little about us:
Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology