JLABS, a Johnson & Johnson company is recruiting for an Operations Manager, located in San Diego, CA.
JLABS, part of Johnson & Johnson Innovation is a network of life science incubators providing emerging companies many of the advantages of being in a big company, without the capital investment. JLABS offers singular bench tops, modular wet lab units and office space on a short-term basis, allowing companies to pay only for the space they need, with an option to quickly expand when they have the resources to do so. Companies residing at JLABS also have access to core research labs hosting specialized capital equipment and shared administrative areas.
JLABS is an open innovation model, and the agreement for space does not grant JLABS or Johnson & Johnson Innovation, Inc. any stake or rights in the companies, nor will the companies have a guaranteed future affiliation with JLABS. The flagship facility is located in San Diego at Janssen's West Coast Research Center, and Johnson & Johnson Innovation JLABS has now two established locations in San Francisco - one through a collaboration with the California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) and a second standalone facility - one in Boston through a collaboration with Lab Central, one in Houston through a collaboration with TMC, and one in Toronto through a collaboration with MaRS. For more information please visit: jlabs.jnjinnovation.com
The Operations Manager is responsible for leading all aspects of the JLABS facility in San Diego, CA including accountability for regulatory compliance, security, pricing, budget development and management, customer relationship management and legal administration of agreements and amendments. In addition, this role is responsible for providing leadership, setting expectations, and managing the supplier relationships that assist with daily operations. This position is on call 24/7.
The physical operation of the incubator facility is the most critical risk aspect of the JLABS incubator business because of the EH&S and IP/security risks involved in such an operation. It is also of upmost importance to protecting the J&J brand given the scope of supporting up to 50 different legal entities on site. Given the importance of the physical structure and the management of compliance to EH&S regulations and IP requirements, this role will deeply collaborate with Finance, Business Development, Marketing, Legal, EH&S, Facilities & Operations, Security, Risk Management and senior leadership to continuously assess the operating and business model for JLABS and its resident licensees. This role is expected to develop, recommend, and implement business model improvements that are correlated with facilities and operations.
• Lead the operations team in San Diego, which, includes onboarding activities (pre-move-in, move in), ongoing facilities/equipment/EH&S/security management and off-boarding activities for both JLABS and its licensees
• Develop and sustain business relationships with companies residing in JLABS including gaining and maintaining the respect of the scientific community and is responsible for customer relationship management and ensuring positive customer workplace experiences during their residence in JLABS
• Continuously solicit stakeholder feedback on the program and appropriately leverage the feedback to establish goals, direction, and a vision to improve or expand the program with a focus on cost savings and scalability
• Partner closely with multiple J&J teams, stakeholders, and suppliers to manage all facets of the service delivery model including but not limited to, day to day facility operations, strategic facility planning, compliance, facility & laboratory equipment maintenance and purchases, all soft services, security, IT services, and EH&S
• Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures and Guidelines to facilitate execution of the Operational and Environmental, Health and Safety Management Plans
• Maintain compliance and administration of compliance programs with a focus on safety, environmental, security, and IP protection and ensure that all implemented risk mitigation strategies are being followed and adhered to including coordination of periodic audits
• Select and provide clear direction for service providers on expectations, develop and implement clear and achievable service levels with remediation and escalation procedures for disputes and oversee all contractor delivered programs to ensure adherence to J&J standards and policies
• Directly accountable for developing and managing the operational expense budget, driving cost reductions, cost efficiencies, and optimized contractor management
• Serve as the operations leader onsite to manage emergency response to situations in the lab and to liaise with external stakeholders such as the fire department, police department, regulatory agencies, etc.
• Coordinate with J&J real estate legal on all licensee agreements and amendments and collaborate with all aspects of Johnson and Johnson Workplace Solutions (JJWS) to ensure optimized asset management and service provision
• Responsible for ensuring that the supplier and JLABS resident companies are in compliance with all JJWS and J&J contractor safety guidelines and partners with J&J EH&S Management to ensure JLABS and its licensees are in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations including FDA, EPA, OSHA, and DEA
• Provide leadership for internal and external inspections (CUPA, CEDMAT, OSHA)Qualifications
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree –Business, Science, Engineering or related is required
• A minimum of eight (8) years of combined experience in two (2) or more areas in (lab operations, scientific research, business development, facilities management or environmental health and safety program management is required
• Must possess demonstrated experience in managing supplier relationships and experience with strategic business development in a lab setting
• Must possess demonstrated business acumen and a track record of success of working with senior leadership
• Supplier relationship management experience is required
• Understanding of strategic business development and strong communication skills is preferred
• Excellent contract management capabilities, negotiating skills with a broad understanding of facilities management and EH&S compliance requirements is required
• Must possess a broad understanding of scientific research equipment is required
• Must possess experience working in a matrix environment with a demonstrated track record with change process improvement in a dynamic environment
• Must possess expertise in contract management and customer relationship management
• This position is located in San Diego, CA and may require up to 10% domestic travelPrimary Location
United States-California-San DiegoOrganization
J&J Innovation LLC (6205)Job Function
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.