The Center for Device Innovation at Texas Medical Center is recruiting for an Operations Manager in Houston, TX.
The Center for Device Innovation at Texas Medical Center (CDI @ TMC), a broad, new collaboration between the Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies and TMC that aims to accelerate end-to-end development of breakthrough medical devices. This expands on JJI’s collaboration with TMC, established earlier this year with the opening of JLABS @ TMC, and combines the resources of the world’s largest medical complex with the capabilities of the world’s most comprehensive medical devices business, to advance the health and well-being of people around the world.
The CDI facility will encompass state-of-the-art equipment to advance medical device innovation and will be home to internal teams from JJMD specializing in research and development. Committed to nurturing the global innovation ecosystem, we’re focused on accelerating the pace of innovation in medical devices that have the greatest potential to advance patient care. The CDI is part of JJI’s expanding efforts to seek out the best science and innovation wherever it may reside - from internal and external sources.
Given the importance of the laboratory environment and the management of compliance to EH&S regulations and IP requirements, this role will deeply collaborate with internal Research and Development, Finance, Legal, EH&S, Facilities & Operations, Security, Risk Management and senior leadership to continuously assess the operating environment. This role is expected to develop, recommend, and implement strategic improvements that are correlated with facilities and lab operations. This position is on call 24/7.
The Operations Manager will:
• Set up and implement the J&J Medical Device Houston operating model which includes onboarding new employees, ongoing facilities/equipment/EH&S/security management, and training programs
• Partner closely with multiple J&J teams, stakeholders, and suppliers to manage all facets of the service delivery model including but not limited to, day to day facility operations, strategic facility planning, compliance, facility & laboratory equipment maintenance and purchases, all soft services (mailroom, housekeeping, conference room management, shipping & receiving, etc.), security, IT services, EH&S and the machine shop
• Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures to facilitate execution of the Operational and Environmental, Health and Safety Management Plans
• Maintain compliance and administration of compliance programs with a focus on safety, environmental, security, and IP protection and ensure that all implemented risk mitigation strategies are being followed and adhered to including coordination of periodic audits
• Select and provide clear direction for service providers on expectations, develop and implement clear and achievable service levels with remediation and escalation procedures for disputes and oversee all contractor delivered programs to ensure adherence to J&J standards and policies
• Be accountable for developing and managing the operational expense budget, driving cost reductions, cost efficiencies, and optimized contractor management and to manage emergency response to situations in the lab and to liaise with external stakeholders such as the landlord, fire department, police department, regulatory agencies, etc.
• Oversee the machine shop, prototyping and testing laboratories and support engineers with design and fabrication
• Be responsible for training on machine shop equipment, and the successful and safe operation of all laboratory and shop equipment
• Be responsible to collect and process machine shop data, diagnose problems with equipment, and facilitate corrective processes as needed
• Provide formal training and on the job training to staff, as well ensure proper machining and safety practices are followed
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Science, Engineering and/or related discipline is required
• A minimum of eight (8) years of combined experience in two or more of the following areas (lab operations, scientific research, engineering, facilities management or environmental health and safety program management) is required
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience in machining is required
• Demonstrated experience in managing supplier relationships is required
• Demonstrated experience with managing an engineering lab and machine shop is required
• Broad understanding of facilities management and EH&S compliance requirements is required
• Demonstrated supplier relationship management experience is required
• Broad understanding of scientific and engineering research equipment is required
• Experience working in a matrix environment with a demonstrated track record with change process improvement in a dynamic environment is preferred
• Expertise in Contract Management and Customer Relationship Management is preferred
• Experience and mechanically adept with CAD design is preferred
• Expertise in the safe operation of machine shop type equipment is preferred
• This position is located in Houston, TX and requires less than 10% travel Primary Location
J&J Innovation LLC (6205)Job Function
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.