About the Job
The mission of the Platform Operations team is to ensure high fidelity operation of Oracle Utilities Global Business Unit (UGBU) cloud-based products at any scale. Each Operations Engineer supports this purpose in one of two ways:
- Drive complex product failure investigations, streamlining the investigation process along the way.
- Consolidate Oracle UGBU product operations from disparate on-premise systems and processes into a single scalable cloud-based operational infrastructure.
Participation in on-call rotation is required for this position.
No specific work experience required. Preference for:
- Engineering degree (Chemical, Industrial, or like preferred)
- Knowledge of structured problem solving
- Demonstrated success in an highly variable environment
- 2 years professional experience in a process optimization related field
- Triage, analyze and resolve product/program quality issues, and collaborate with internal teams to resolve escalated issues as needed
- Be a friendly subject matter expert...
- ... for all Oracle UGBU products and services, acting as a mentor for junior staff
- ... for non-process oriented team members, championing efficiency and continuous improvement
- Scalability Improvements
- Identify and clearly communicate...
- ... opportunities for standardization, waste reduction, or simplification
- ... problems inherent to current processes (root causes)
- ... potential future problems (root causes)
- ... potential solutions to identified problems
- ... needs to complete or speed up an improvement
- ... progress towards ongoing improvements
- Drive RCAs and retrospectives as necessary
- Do no harm (Don't implement improvements for our team that hurt other teams)
- Able to effectively prioritize
- Calm under pressure
- Comfortable speaking with technical / non-technical contacts on internal / external teams
- Ability to excel in ambiguous work environment
- Ability to ask for help when appropriate
- Comfortable with Unix command line and MySQL
- Basic knowledge of Java or Ruby preferred but not required
Work with Oracle*s world class technology to develop, implement, and support Oracle*s global infrastructure.
As a member of the IT organization, assist with the design, development, modifications, debugging, and evaluation of programs for use in internal systems within a specific function area.
Duties and tasks are standard with some variation. Completes own role largely independently within defined policies and procedures. BS or equivalent experience in programming on enterprise or department servers or systems.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.