If you love developing innovative, cutting-edge technologies that create breakthrough products, you'll want to check out this exciting Data Scientist internship opportunity at Monsanto.
Produce more. Conserve more. Improve lives. That's Monsanto's vision for a better world. Achieving this vision requires inspiration, innovation, and a passion for applying state-of-the-art technology to revolutionize agriculture. We are seeking an exceptionally talented graduate-level student with these core qualities for a paid 3-month internship in our modeling & Analytics team within the Plant Breeding Trait & Product Delivery Organization. The position will be based in St. Louis at our corporate headquarters.
In this role, the successful candidate will use advanced mathematical models, operations research techniques, simulation and strong business acumen to deliver insight, recommendations and solutions to optimize our production plans and improve probability of success of Monsanto's traited products.
As part of our diverse, highly dynamic group, you will be exposed to exciting operations research challenges and will have ample opportunity to work with interdisciplinary scientists to foster career growth and development while delivering innovative analytical solutions.
Upon completion of the program, you'll present your findings to an audience of peers and senior management. End of summer presentations are hosted at a designated Monsanto site, where students network with scientists and learn more about future career opportunities at Monsanto.
Dates for this summer internship are May 14 - August 3 of 2018. Required:
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a PhD degree program in Operations Research, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science or a related field
- Creative, proactive, bold and out-of-box thinking
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of operations research and mathematical optimization concepts is a must
- Expertise in many of the following: Mathematical modeling, simulation, decisions analysis, stochastic models, system dynamics and forecasting
- 1+ years experience with commercial optimization software (i.e., CPLEX, Xpress, Gurobi etc)
- Demonstrated experience with R, Python, MATLAB, Java or other programming languages
- Strong business aptitude, the ability to rapidly learn new problem domains, and become conversant in the domain with subject matter experts
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, precise and actionable manner
- Detail and results-orientated with the ability to work independently
- Ability to actively engage with internal partners & external collaborators to align strategies & success measures in analytics
- Knowledge of genetics, breeding, agriculture and/or biotechnology
- Experience with solving analytical problems involving big data sets using quantitative approaches
Daily transportation to the Monsanto site is required and will be the responsibility of the student.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.