Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Firmwide Operations includes Shared Services and Banking Operations (SSBO), Operations Risk and Control, Global Project Group and Metrics, Branch Operations and Divisional Management. Shared Service and Banking Operations delivers industry leading operational solutions by aligning the right functions, people, processes and tools into ten core disciplines offering tailored client service levels that are efficient, controlled and compliant with regulation. Our core disciplines include: Asset Servicing, Cash Management, Client Data Management, Global Banking Services, Loans Servicing, Network Management, Payments (Wireless and Disbursements), Reconciliations, Settlements and Tax Operations. Operations Risk and Control ensure adequate controls are in place, through providing an integrated risk and control framework to govern, assess, mitigate and manage financial and operational risk in Operations.
The Disclosure of Interest and Regulatory Reporting team (DOI) is a key component of Operations Risk and Control and ensures the firm remains compliant with substantial shareholding and short position reporting requirements. DOI works closely with Operations, Technology, Finance, Compliance and Business Units to collect information, provide and implement guidance, implement controls and mitigate risk.
Detailed Operations Role Description:
- Substantial Shareholding
- Monitor and report firm?s substantial equity positions and trading activity in accordance with various regulatory position requirements (e.g. SEC 13G, 13F, FERC, etc.)
- Confirm alerting rules are defined properly in order to ensure accurate monitoring/filings
- Investigate and remediate product data issues to ensure position accuracy
- Short Interest Reporting
- Research short position reports and complete regulatory filings (e.g. FINRA Rule 4560)
- Assist with FINRA inquiries
- Investigate and remediate controls and logic to ensure reporting accuracy
- Maintain effective partnerships with all stakeholders on regulatory related issues
- Work with Compliance to ensure awareness and appropriate interpretation of regulatory requirements and application to MS data
- Become involved in various other Regulatory Reporting processes and ad hoc projects
- An undergraduate degree in business, finance or other related fields
- Prior experience in operational risk, modeling or information technology, or legal experience on a broad array of regulatory operations issues
- Proactively explores tactical and strategic solutions to close identified control gaps
- Challenges assumptions, enforces consistent standards and champions new ideas
- Ability to manage and prioritize responsibilities according to reporting deadlines
- Highly motivated with outstanding record of professional achievement
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.