The Operations Shift Supervisor's objective is to maintain safe, environmentally sound, and reliable asset capabilities within a defined area in the refinery. The incumbent may be asked to work varying schedules from time to time including turnarounds (TAR), special assignments, and rotate through day shift work for developmental and/or business needs. This summary is meant to be an overall job description and does not include all tasks that might be required for the position.Key accountabilities
- Responsible for health, safety, and environmental performance and awareness in his area to achieve our goals of no accidents, no harm to people and no harm to the environment.
- Investigates accidents and near misses.
- Prepares, conducts, or otherwise ensures completion of regular safety meetings.
- Coordinates and participates in all refinery safety programs. Promotes maintenance of a clean, safe work site and ensures adequate housekeeping.
- The Operations Shift Supervisor directs outside unit operators in accomplishing the team goals within the asset area.
- Administers and/or participates in support of the Employee Policy. That is, everyone knows what is expected of them (expectations/competencies), everyone has open discussions about performance issues, everyone is helped/helps develop employee capabilities (personal development), and everyone will be listened to and involved in improving their team's performance (feedback).
- Participates in MOC's, Unit Hazop's, and incident investigations as necessary.
- Assures equipment reliability and that availability is maintained in support of the refinery commercial plan, which is accomplished by coaching, mentoring and coordinating outside Unit Operators.
- Specific operation focus for reliability and availability to assure assets are available to execute the commercial operating plan.
- Provides troubleshooting expertise on all operating/equipment-related issues within the asset.
- Jointly responsible (with the Optimization team) for unit performance including catalyst, chemical, and energy uses.
- Responsible for specific operations and conditions outside the control room.
- Mentors and coaches Unit Operators within the asset regarding best practices, cost control, KPI's, and personnel development.
- Mentors Unit Operators to enhance personal accountability and on the reliability agenda for the asset area.
- Communicates effectively with shift team to ensure daily objectives are clear.
- Accountable to communicate directly with outside Unit Operators all matters related to plant operation, refinery strategy, optimization issues, and pertinent external developments.
- Accountable for routine execution of unit outside monitoring, data collection, preventative maintenance, and equipment basic care programs.
- Jointly accountable with Unit Operators and Asset Coordinators that equipment is safely prepared for maintenance and that all necessary permitting and communication of hazards is completed and that equipment is recommissioned safely and in a timely manner after maintenance.
- Champions the reliability and availability targets as established by the Asset Coordinator with all outside operating crews within the asset.
- Jointly accountable with Training Coordinator for coordination/completion of the area training efforts.
- Jointly accountable with Asset Coordinators for the development and coordination of special procedures.
- Provides leadership in emergency response efforts.
- Provides additional resource for TAR efforts.Primary accountability for on-shift scheduling, and other unit personnel issues for team.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Preferred: Some College
- Preferred: State of Ohio Stationary Engineering License
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
- Required: 3+ years in refinery related or industrial field is required but will be assessed on needs of the process
- Preferred: Sound background relating to process operations and asset care and maintenance programs
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Analyzing Problems/Troubleshooting & Problem Solving: Systematically determine the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC's, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis
- Identify and assess safety hazards
- Has exhibited leadership skills in directing, appraising, counseling, and coaching employees.
- Possesses the skills required to conduct an incident investigationComputer Programs—Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word
Yes - up to 10%Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 92,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 100 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The BP-Husky Refining facility (formerly known as BP Toledo Refinery) located in Northwest Ohio, has operated continuously since 1919. Since that time, the facility has undergone numerous improvements to achieve its current capacity for processing 160,000 barrels of crude oil daily. Recently, BP and Husky Energy finalized the formation of two historic 50/50 joint ventures. One joint venture will develop Husky's Sunrise oil sands field located in Alberta, Canada, and the other joint venture will reposition and operate the Toledo Refinery located in Ohio. As a result, the Toledo Refinery will have access to a reliable source of crude from North America and ensure the refinery's future for years to come. BP also has large, modern refineries in Cherry Point, WA; and Whiting IN.Segment
[ "27-Sep-2017" ]
A little about us:
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.