7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
Optical Network Engineer
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious technology professionals who have substantial experience and knowledge of carrier class optical technologies and implementations to join our team!
- Design and implement WAN/MAN topologies and connectivity involving DWDM and optical network infrastructure.
- Consult with various technology support groups as part of network design and development efforts.
- Ensure adherence to defined network engineering processes; identify and help influence platform strategic direction in coordination with business users' needs and direction.
- Identify gaps in current design and research / propose appropriate solutions based on technical and business drivers.
- Take initiative and a leadership role in identifying and driving compelling optimization or technology upgrade opportunities.
- Lead/contribute to enterprise network strategy/solutions development and technology refresh efforts.
- Provide input to network enterprise design standards and maintain network topology diagrams.
- Create and document DWDM-related policies, procedures and standards.
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements.
- Lead and govern relationships with technology vendors utilized in the enterprise network.
- Serve as Tier 4 ecalation support for critical operational incident resolution.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to junior personnel; provide knowledge transfer and Tier 4 escalation support for Operations.
Does this describe you? If so you may be just the person we want to talk to!
- Possess high proficiency with carrier network design for nationwide enterprise connectivity.
- Demonstrate a detailed and methodical approach to implementation and problem solving scenarios.
- Possess advanced proficiency with design, implementation, and troubleshooting of DWDM and SONET infrastructure.
- Possess extensive experience designing physical infrastructure including conduit layouts, point of entry for carrier access, fiber path diversity, and carrier hand-off.
- Ability to efficiently lead the design, configuration and support of circuit connectivity residing on carrier rings and provide required designs to provisioning.
- Encompasses the ability to manage carrier inventory and provide reports on ring utilization.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage the commission and decommission of carrier rings and equipment.
- Possess the ability to manage service outage resolutions and coordinate efforts across carriers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to represent the team well and effectively communicate technical information to a variety of individuals and groups. High level of proficiency with creating network diagrams and writing technical documents and training materials.
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability to work in a flexible work environment and across distributed teams as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience in technical leadership of IT projects.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience with network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large data and voice networks.
- At least 6 years of experience in all technical aspects of carrier services design, implementations or support with solid understanding of SONET, DWDM, multiplexing, and optical transport.
- At least 3 years of experience designing and implementing DWDM systems from vendors such as Ciena and Infinera
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or technical discipline
- Ciena Optical Communication Professional certification
- 5 years of experience as a technical lead in a large carrier network
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.