At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Opto-Mechanical Specialist for the Electronics Materials Solutions Division (EMSD) Laboratory located in Austin, TX. Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Opto-Mechanical Specialist
will w ork with a team of optical and design engineers to develop optical components and the processes & equipment to fabricate them. For additional information, please visit:
include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the development of precision optical tooling and fixturing to support the development of optical interconnect and packaging components and fabrication equipment, including performing mechanical and/or thermal analysis and tolerance assessment, as needed, to ensure designs meet the requirements of the processes they support
- Implementation of such equipment, including characterization and effective transfer to manufacturing
- Determines improved procedures, materials and equipment to reach required throughput and yield targets
- Supports product design team with improvements for manufacturing or end-use.
- Willingness to be on-call in times of surge customer demand or to resolve quality concerns
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering or science discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with fiber optic components
- Master's degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university
- Thorough understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Experience working with ultra-precise tolerance components
- Experience designing with commercial 3D solid modeling/CAD tools
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience solid modeling in Unigraphics NX
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience designing and testing optical interconnect components and/or tooling
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience performing mechanical or multi-physics Finite Element Analysis (FEA) simulations in ANSYS and/or Abaqus
- Experience with injection molding
- Experience with curable adhesive bonding for optical applications
- Knowledge of production and prototype metal, ceramic, and plastic fabrication technologies
- Strong mechanical aptitude and high comfort level with hands-on mechanical work
- Experience with microscopy and metrology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
May include up to 15% domestic/internationalRelocation:
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A little about us:
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.