The Operating Room has twelve operating suites and one cystoscopy room. It provides surgical services, excluding non-emergency C-sections, on an inpatient, as well as outpatient, basis. Anesthesia is available through Anesthesia Associates of Macon, but local anesthesia procedures are also done. General and CVOR call teams are available during non-staffing hours to provide 24/7 coverage. POSITION SUMMARY:
Provides professional surgical nursing care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Collaborates with other members of the health care delivery team, including physicians, to deliver quality health care. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of the nursing process utilizing standards set forth for Nursing Practice by the ANA and AORN.
- Participates and cooperates in the unit-based Quality Improvement processes.
- Supports, maintains and provides an environment which is supportive of quality patient care through effective use of resources and personnel.
- Practices, develops and endorses customer service skills in relationships with internal and external customers.
- Serves as the patient and family advocate with respect to the patient's right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
- Plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and the age of the patient.
- Evaluates and documents patient's response; monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychosocial status; takes appropriate action based on assessment of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Demonstrates ability to perform CPR.
- Takes call for department as needed.
- May assume responsibilities of charge nurse when the need arises.
- Directly supervises surgical technologists and attendants/transporters.
- Accurately records patient charges.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
- Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school of Professional Nursing required
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing required
- BSN preferred
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- State of Georgia RN License required
- BLS - AHA Healthcare Provider required
- CNOR encouraged
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- 1-3 Years surgical nursing experience preferred
- Reads and writes Basic English
- Strong communication skills in both oral and written format
- Knowledge of universal precautions
- Flexibility to intervene on a moment's notice
- Ability to problem-solve and seek assistance from team members when necessary
- Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partners needs
- Ability to cope with death and dying
- Basic computer skills
- Completion of credentialing requirements for unit specific skills within six months of employment - required.