P&C Middle Market Associate Underwriter ~ Training Begins February '18
Pursue your passion for identifying risks. Fuel your passion for finding greater reward.
Underwriting is what you do, but it's only a piece of who you are.
At The Hartford, we empower you to expand upon both.
With a detailed roadmap for learning opportunities, and managers who are trained to coach and guide toward career development, you're equipped with the right tools to build a long-lasting and evolving underwriting career at The Hartford. The Hartford is hiring P&C Middle Market Commercial Underwriter On-boarding and Risk Education (CORE) Associates for our 2018 training program. This formalized Commercial Underwriting trainee program is designed to prepare hires for a career in the P&C Underwriting Industry.
Associates complete a formalized 20-week training program that begins in late February and consists of a combination of virtual learning, live work, an integrated sales training curriculum. In addition over the 20 week period there are (3) 1-week trips consisting of live classroom training in our one of our 3 Underwriting Centers (either Charlotte, NC, Clinton, NY or San Antonio, TX) location, and the program concludes with a Program Graduation in our Home Office, located in Hartford, CT.
Responsibilities as a CORE Associate Trainee include:
• Achieving standards established for success in the program by completing daily assignments, including reading of text materials, completion of on-line courses and assignments, case study work, exams, and general activities.
• Actively participate in class by asking questions, volunteering answers, and assisting teammates as appropriate.
• Participating fully with the other trainees on any group/team activities, as assigned by the training manager.
Beyond the training period you will:
• Travel throughout your assigned territory as required; build and leverage personal relationships with key agents and brokers that allow The Hartford to obtain new accounts as well as retain and expand sales to existing accounts.
• Identify customers' needs and demonstrate how The Hartford's products and services can meet those needs.
• Achieve the operating plan objectives via new business production through frequent interaction with assigned agents in order to significantly increase The Hartford's penetration of the agent's existing books of business.
• Review insurance policy submissions and determine appetite to underwrite, underwrite and price new and renewal business, and present quotes to the agent.
• Maintain knowledge of the regional office strategic direction and plan, including goals and objectives to achieve profit and growth.
• Become the carrier of choice by communicating, publicizing, and providing training to agents and their staff on new products and programs.
• Plan and prioritize work activities to achieve desired results within necessary time frames.
• Effectively use on-line resources, automation tools, and computer software packages.
Successful Middle Market Underwriter Associate candidates will possess the following qualifications:
• Candidates who have been employed by The Hartford for 3 years with an above average performance history is strongly preferred.
• Those candidates not currently employed by The Hartford should have related P&C Industry experience including but not limited to Broker/Agency experience, Insurance Sales, Claims, or Underwriting Operations Support areas. Candidates with experience in Group Benefits, Life & Health will also be considered.
• Candidates not employed by The Hartford who have strong track record of success and do not possess related Industry experience should at minimum have a Bachelor's, Advanced Degree or completed coursework and related internships in Risk Management and Insurance. Consideration will be given to those with degrees in Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Mathematics, Economics, or Marketing or related field; preference will be given to candidates who have had Industry-related internships /work experience and have a total GPA over 3.2.
• Ability to adapt well to a variety of training environments. Our method of Training includes an effective range of learning methods including: web-based training, distance online courses, online discussions, as well as site visits in the territory.
• Excellent written and verbal communication with strong influencing skills.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret data, identify trends and draw conclusions. The ability to operate with a sense of urgency and make sound business decisions in a timely manner is required.
• Strong sales skills and business acumen. Ability to negotiate and sell all messaging including those that may be difficult. Persistency, creativity, and tenacity are required skills.
• High energy self-starter, who is resilient and has an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Solid time, organizational, and desk management skills are a must.
• Motivated self-starter who is driven by results and goal-oriented.
• Use of a company pool car may be necessary for periodic travel; a valid driver's license is required.
• In addition to following all corporate guidelines, successful Middle Market Associates are expected to demonstrate satisfactory progress during the Training Program and achieve passing scores on all tests, case studies, and foundational underwriting assessments. Failure to meet any of these criteria of the Training Program will result in disciplinary action.
• Travel is required for the Training Program. Coursework content includes classroom training in addition to the virtual training. Associates are required to travel for 1-week three times throughout the 20 week period.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
Over the past century, The Hartford's Underwriting Development Program is known to be the best-in-class program in the Industry! Underwriting can be the route to a life-long business career in commercial underwriting. Working within an entrepreneurial environment, our development programs will give you thetechnical underwriting skills and knowledge to be an integral part of our world class insurance company.
Class Training begins in February 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD