Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking a Paralegal III to join the Corporate Transactions organization in the Office of General Counsel to provide support for the formation and maintenance of a range of pharmaceutical industry contracts, from confidential disclosure agreements to license agreements. This position will work directly with Merck's Business Development & Licensing groups in the Corporate, Global Human Health and Research areas, as well as in-house attorneys. Qualifications:
Education Minimum Requirement:
- High School degree or equivalent required
- Bachelor's degree or paralegal certificate or equivalent experience preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience with, or study of, either (i) legal principles - preferably in the areas of contract law and/or intellectual property, or (ii) science - either through work experience or a college degree in science or engineering.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements - preferably in life sciences or another industry where intellectual property rights play a major role, either in-house or with a law firm - or demonstrated capability to develop same.
- Accuracy and attention to detail in analyses and communications.
- Ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly, including ability to explain/articulate issues and effectively communicate sound legal advice to employees and third parties (under direction of attorney as appropriate).
- Understanding of the specific legal concepts around contract law and intellectual property and ability to use that knowledge to shape decisions that support appropriate business goals.
- Effective time management to meet deadlines including project management skills, prioritization, and consistent delivery of commitments in a fast-paced and demanding work environment, and ability to organize information and build upon ideas of others.
- Ability to foresee possible risks to project goals and deadlines and create pre-emptive solutions.
- Autonomy on complex tasks as well as ability to recognize need for and seek further direction of attorney.
- Team player attitude, flexibility and adaptability, and a willingness to work on a variety of legal matters.
- Responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with internal clients.
- Discreet in handling sensitive and confidential information, and a high level of integrity.
- Clear motivation and focus on achieving measurable, tangible results.
- Willingness to adopt change.
- Advanced Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word (including track changes features), Excel).
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement