Gulf Coast Regional Medical Center
is a 218-bed acute-care hospital located in Panama City, FL. Its 460-member medical staff and more than 1,000 employees work hard to ensure its patients receive the highest quality of care every day. Their efforts have resulted in national accreditations for Chest Pain Center , Total Joint Replacement , Peripheral Vascular Disease , Spine , Stroke and Wound Care . The hospital was named a Top 100 Hospital by Truven Health Analytics and was awarded an "A" rating by The Leapfrog Group for four consecutive years. The hospital includes a 42-bed critical care wing, which includes a 20-bed adult-level Intensive Care Unit and the region's only four-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and 18-bed Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit POSITION SUMMARY:
The Paramedic is responsible for implementing technical procedures and providing direct patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse and/or Physician. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Receives patients from EMS personnel and prepares patients for physician's care.
- Assists physicians with patient examinations or treatments as directed.
- Performs patient care to include: taking vital signs, measuring & recording input/output, attaching oxygen and cardiac monitors, performing 12 lead EKG, suctioning patient airways as directed, inserting/removing urinary catheters, applying/changing sterile dressings, removing sutures/staples, assisting with application of orthopedic splinting materials.
- Performs venipuncture, collects laboratory specimens, inserts and removes peripheral intravenous catheters from extremities.
- Administers medication from approved paramedic list as directed by the physician.
- Demonstrates knowledge and respect of patient rights to privacy and protection of patient confidentiality.
- Organizes and communicates patient care activities to the patient and to the Registered Nurse.
- Monitors and documents information regarding patient activities, as directed by the Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates an understanding of patient charts, physician orders and nursing orders.
- Promotes and displays a positive customer oriented demeanor to patients, visitors, staff and physicians.
- Demonstrates an understanding and is proficient in the use of a computer and office equipment.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the notification reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
- Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
- Maintains the unit in optimal operating condition by cleaning general work areas and stocking supplies. These supplies can include items that contain a medication.
- Transports emergently needed medications from the pharmacy to the nursing staff, with the exception of narcotics.
- Transports monitored and non-monitored patients to inpatient units and diagnostic areas.
- May have access to the medication room or designated areas to transport, assemble, and stock (inventory) of non scheduled drugs and biologicals to include but not limited to fluids, sterile water, normal saline, and irrigations.
- Participate in the unit based Quality Improvement process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from a state licensed Paramedic program.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Florida Paramedic certification
- BLS at hire
- Additional certifications as outlined in specific unit competencies (ACLS, PALS)
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience commensurate with unit standards
- Reads and writes Basic English with the basic skills necessary to transcribe physician's orders.
- Knowledge of body substance isolation.
- Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partners needs.
- Basic computer skills
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom