Since 1918, it has been TIAA’s mission to serve, our ability to perform and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization. We’re dedicated to serving the financial needs of those in the academic, medical, cultural, governmental and research fields, and committed to helping make lifetime financial well-being possible for them.
By building a culture that allows all employees to contribute their unique talents and skills, we’re able to provide our customers with fresh ideas and distinct perspectives to help them achieve their goals. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce is one of our greatest strengths and a key measure of our success
For more information about TIAA, visit our website.
Participant Tax Reporting Analyst
Part Time – 24 to 28 hours per week only, set schedule
Charlotte, NC (University-Main Campus Only)
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for preparing complex federal (IRS Forms 941, 945, along with NRA (Form 1042) monthly, quarterly, and annual tax remittance returns for government tax agencies and reconcile all tax withholding between the general ledger accounts and the tax reporting system. Candidates will work closely with other tax associates and business partners.
• Execute business and regulatory compliance responsibilities in meeting core functions, including the analysis and documentation of changing pension and payroll remittance, return and reporting regulations for federal, state and local agencies.
• Coordinate and implement banking changes mandated by regulatory agencies and respond to employee and tax agency inquiries pertaining to W-2’s, tax remittances, and remittance returns.
• Ensure that TIAA-CREF and its subsidiaries perform all necessary tax withholding, withholding remittance and tax reporting functions on all new and existing TIAA-CREF products and services and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Review and approve journal entries, as well as approve and release remittance payments to the tax agencies.
• Processing pension and payroll tax remittances and tax returns to federal, state and local agencies, and performing reconciliations to ensure that controls exist between the general ledger, payroll and tax withholding and reporting system.
• Review and reconcile controls between payment system feeds with the tax withholding and reporting systems.
• Participate on divisional projects that focus on complying with new and existing regulatory requirements and specifications, creating productivity enhancements that minimize TIAA-CREF’s exposure to penalties and interest charges, and maximize TIAA-CREF’s reputation as a diligent and prudent payer.
• Participate on, and lead, departmental projects to streamline our functions and increase compliance controls. Design controls for new and existing systems and products and successfully implement recommendations.
• Analyze and determine the impact of new products, services, systems, and process enhancements as they relate to tax remittances and returns. Review, interpret and comment on business, functional and technical requirements for corporate projects. Define business requirements, test objectives, scope, conditions, and cases. Identify and resolve discrepancies. Test new systems and functionality.
• Conduct post implementation analysis to identify enhancements, workflow adjustments, and additional training needs.
• Interpret complex business, system and operational issues.
• Assist in the maintenance of standard operating procedures and policies.
• Provide guidance, training and supervision to Participant Tax Reporting Specialists.
• Participate and/or conduct Participant Tax Reporting presentations and training.
• Work additional hours as needed especially during peak business periods.
:Basic Qualifications – Required Skills
• Previous tax research experience in a similar role
• Excel experience
• Experience with defining business requirements, testing objectives, are resolving issues
• Previous experience with testing
• Pension and/or payroll tax withholding and processing experience (remittance and returns)
Desired Skills: Strongly Preferred
• Pension and/or payroll tax withholding and processing experience (remittance and returns) preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Effectively manage multiple tasks
• Should include exposure to individual income and payroll tax, as well as general accounting principles as they apply to the financial services industry
• Ability to demonstrate an exceptional standard of quality: including timeliness, accuracy, and attention to detail, organizational and self-review skills, thoughtful analysis, problem-solving skills, and accountability for excellent results
• Effective time management skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills and general understanding of process controls preferred
• PeopleSoft General Ledger and/or Empower software knowledge is a plus
• Intermediate knowledge of spreadsheet applications (MS Excel) preferred
Flexibility to work additional hours as needed, especially during peak business periods
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.