Working within the patent team, the Patent Agent is responsible for helping to develop and maintain the Company's patent portfolio in support of the Company's business objectives. This individual is responsible for patent prosecution and drafting, working closely and communicating effectively with scientific, technical, legal and business team members in the process. The individual will review invention disclosure submissions, prepare patent filings and prosecute patent applications, and, where necessary, manage external patent counsel in support of the same. This individual may also support counseling matters, including opinion work and enforcement matters.
Function Related Activities / Key Responsibilities:
• Draft applications and prosecute US and foreign patent applications
• Conduct searches and interpret prior art documents
• Support the invention disclosure process
• Support client counseling, working closely with internal or external counsel and stakeholders
• Assist in identifying competitive products/patent portfolios
• Support M&A activity involving technology-based companies, when requested
• Other responsibilities and key result areas will be assigned as required
Education : B.S. degree in materials science, biology, chemistry or similar technical degree
Related Work Experience:
• At least 3 years of experience preparing, filing, and prosecuting of patent applications at a law firm
• Registered before the USPTO
• Strong knowledge of patent law
• Experience in drafting patent applications and responses in the USPTO
• Experience in managing patent prosecution outside of the US
• Experience managing patent portfolios for multinational corporations preferred
• Outstanding communication and networking skills and the ability to participate in a multidisciplinary team
• Ability to work independently and, where appropriate, with supervision provided by an in-house patent manager, senior agent or counsel
• The ability to effectively contribute as a team player
• Demonstrated creativity and success in strategizing, structuring, and obtaining robust intellectual property protection for specific technology-related products
• DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
• COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler)
• ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders
• INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
• DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
• Strong technical writing and patent drafting skills
• Superior English written and oral communication skills
• Strong research and analysis skills along with an interest in legal issues concerning patents
• Training or practical experience with patent classification systems and/or patent search tools (e.g., Innography, Thomson IP)
• Continuous learning and development
• Customer service and results-oriented
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants employees and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education employment history a criminal history check reference checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.