Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Senior Patents and Licensing Spec Manager, are to:
Who you are
- Create and implement business processes which currently do not exist that will include agreement terms for certain external firms including billing requirements:
- Audit invoices against the terms and conditions created and implemented;
- Ensure the timely review, processing and analysis of trends in invoices from law firms and manages and tracks budgets;
- Develop the contract plan for certain external firms by selecting the most beneficial commercial approach and qualify providers, and also oversee the entire bid process and negotiate and execute the contract changes and disputes;
- Manage customer relationships by looking for, finding and implementing opportunities for process improvements and savings opportunities, in past billings, present invoices and for the future;
- Assume responsibility for management of accounting, procurement and audit issues;
- Assist with other financial duties as needed to support the law department (i.e. manage the budget process).
- Train, supervise and ensure quality work from Paralegals and IP Data Specialists who:
- Draft patent prosecution forms, templates, and other patent documents for a patent attorney or patent agent (i.e. responses to USPTO and foreign agents);
- Gather information relative to legal (patent prosecution and litigation) issues;
- Prepare litigation summaries, track intellectual property litigation and support document management process, serve as key contact and support discovery related to intellectual property litigation, and identify persons that may need to be subject to hold orders;
- Research statutes, regulations and court decisions and analyze data;
- Investigate requests for information and respond or refer to a patent attorney or patent agent as appropriate and draft proposed responses;
- Assist with due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, is a key contact for diligence document requests.
- Develop patent prosecution policy and implementation:
- Possess excellent knowledge of intellectual property legal principles;
- Stay abreast of changes in laws, rules, regulations in the area of patent prosecution and other relevant regulatory areas, disseminates pertinent information to the team;
- Assist in assessing vendors for patent prosecution and litigation support services;
- Review training documents to guide Commercial Business and Research & Development employees with patents and company policies;
- Supervise the Patent Paralegals and IP Data Specialists;
- Interview, train, provide feedback, etc. for patent paralegal and patent administrative assistant staff as required;
- Have a sense of urgency and priority of workload for the Patent Paralegal staff including managing multiple priorities by completing assigned legal projects by utilizing detailed planning, sound business analysis, information systems support and expert legal training.
- Provides legal assistance to patent attorney or patent agent:
- Provide proposals for attorney review for handling legal matters on highly complex issues concerning the obligations of the corporation as it relates to patents and other intellectual property and executes on accepted proposals;
- Possess strong working knowledge of the business and operational goals and objectives of the business.
- Function as a key advisor in achieving the patent department goals;
- Engage in team meetings and lead sub-teams directed to patent prosecution and vendor management matters.
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Information Systems, Mathematics, Business or similar field; or
- 10 years of experience as a Patent Paralegal with a minimum of five (5) years of increasing responsibility, or comparable work experience;
- Strongly demonstrated knowledge of business economics including marketing, sales, planning and controls;
- Must possess knowledge of business processes, service contracts (i.e. structure and legal aspects);
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and negotiation skills;
- High level of customer sensitivity with excellent skills at tactfully handling conflicts;
- Excellently demonstrated planning, organizing, and execution skills;
- Must work independently with minimal or no supervision and show great judgment;
- Ability to resolve complex and unique problems;
- Independently keeps abreast of changes in the law and regulations and review procedures for patent department to increase efficiency;
- Demonstrated ability to work as both a team member and a leader;
- Ensure accuracy and clarity of information prepared for patent attorney or patent agent.
- JD or Patent Agent with supervisory experience and/or audit skills.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. Job postings will remain open for a minimum of ten business days and are subject to immediate closure thereafter without additional notice. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below. Country:
United States Location:
A little about us:
Why Bayer? Because we’re a pioneer in the fields of human, animal, and plant health. Because we invent solutions that will create a sustainable future for our planet. Because a career with Bayer means you can put your passion into practice and make an impact.