PayPal's Intellectual Property Legal team is looking for an experienced, highly engaged and dynamic patent strategy counselor who has experience that blends highly strategic and targeted prosecution with a litigation mindset.Primary Job Responsibilities
- Leverage deep knowledge of PayPal's technology landscape, and the internet, software and Fintec (financial technology) markets to improve patent claim quality and applicability
- Proactive, strategic prosecution of patent claims crafted on specific technology features
- Utilize deep understanding of defensive and offensive patent utilization strategies to prepare claim charts and evidence of use assessments
- Independent management of prosecution docket, with an emphasis on mining of patent assets
- Employ different negotiation styles situationally to benefit PayPal.
- Deep understanding of defensive and offensive patent utilization strategies
- Deep knowledge of Internet, payments, fintech and software technologies relevant to PayPal's business ecosystem, whether from previous legal or technical experience
- Excellent patent analysis abilities, including development of non-infringement/infringement, invalidity/validity and deep understanding of claim construction considerations;
- Deep focus on preparing claim charts for prosecution of claims and to establish evidence of use
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to foster trust and respect and to create friendly and collaborative internal working relationships with internal clients
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task and keep everything moving forward effectively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentations to senior business, technology and legal personnel
- Skilled in varied types of negotiations, such as, with partners and adversaries
- Openness and willingness to learn
- Business acumen
- Some travel will be required
- J.D. and current California Bar membership required
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or the equivalent.
- 5-10 years of combined experience in patent prosecution and litigation.
- Prior in house experience desirable.
- USPTO license desirable
A little about us:
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.