Northeast Methodist Hospital has played a major role in the phenomenal economic growth experienced in northeast Bexar County. Located in the city of Live Oak at Interstate 35 and Judson Road, Northeast Methodist Hospital has undergone major renovations to upgrade and expand the facility and services to better meet the needs of this area. The expansion facilitated advanced services in 24-hour emergency, surgical, cardiovascular (three cardiac cath labs with electrophysiology capabilities) units, a spacious intensive care unit and inpatient rehabilitation services. A new orthopedic service has recently been implemented - The Joint Replacement Academy - offering the latest treatment options for knee and hip pain. Northeast Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center.
What sets us apart is that we recognize and value the unique needs of each of our patients. It is a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve our community when they need us most. Many of our patients find that our staff is among the friendliest group of people you will meet.
Ours is a hospital that is patient-focused and staffed by health care experts who genuinely care for the well-being of others. It is our promise-as part of Methodist Healthcare's mission of Serving Humanity to Honor God. General Statement of Duties :
The Patient Care Assistant performs a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN) in a complementary and assistive role. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance to the PCA's training, competence and skill, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel (Rule 224.6). Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment. Essential Job Functions:
Qualifications: Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics :
- Under the supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with one's training. Delegated tasks may include:
- Obtaining vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, calorie counts, and/or simple non-sterile dressing changes
- Safe patient handling: Turning and positioning, use of specialty beds, patient transfer and use of transfer devices, ambulation assistance and use of assistive devices, restraint alternatives, oxygen use and transport, suction use, pre-operative skin preparation and/or use of sequential compression devices (SCD)
- Specimen collection, including blood collection for bedside glucose testin
- Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment, including:
- Addressing identified hazards in the physical environment of the patient room to prevent patient falls.
- Hand hygiene and consistent use of standard precautions.
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission based precautions procedures.
- Communicates accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed, including observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN (following hand-off communication guidelines).
- Assists the RN in collecting data from patients upon admission and assists with patient transfer or discharge preparations as instructed.
- Assists patients with bathing, shaving, oral care, toileting, grooming, changing linens, providing water, assisting with meal delivery, and feeding.
- Performs hourly rounding, consistently uses AIDET when interacting with patients, and responds to call lights timely.
High school graduate or equivalent education
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
Previous PCA, Nurse aide, orderly experience in a healthcare setting OR ONE of the following:
A. Completion of a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) training program AND
CNA certification with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability
Services on hire.
B. Completion of an EMS (Emergency Medical System) training program AND
EMT certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services on hire.
C. MHS employee in an LVN job description as of December 1, 2011. Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom