Parallon believes that organizations that continuously learn and improve will thrive. That's why, after more than a decade, Parallon remains dedicated to helping hospitals and hospital systems operate knowledgeably, intelligently, effectively and efficiently in the rapidly evolving healthcare marketplace, today and in the future.
As one of the healthcare industry's leading providers of business and operational services, Parallon is uniquely equipped to provide a broad spectrum of customized services in the areas of revenue cycle, purchasing, supply chain, technology, workforce management and consulting.
Parallon's purpose is simple. We serve and enable those who care for and improve human life in their communities.
JOB TITLE: Patient Support Specialist
• GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Communicates with customers via telephone or electronic media to obtain information needed to resolve inquiries reviews account information, takes appropriate actions to resolve patient inquiries, works with patients and guarantors to secure payment on outstanding account balances, and enters actions into the appropriate system.
SUPERVISOR: Support Services Manager
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Takes all incoming patient calls or makes outbound collection calls based upon job role.
• Reviews patient account information in billing system, performs research as necessary, and takes appropriate action to resolve patient inquiry.
• Documents patient inquiry and actions taken into the appropriate system.
• Work with patients and guarantors to secure payment on outstanding account balances.
• Communicates with practice staff to obtain requested information. Records receipt of information into appropriate system.
• Creates a positive patient experience through listening, understanding, ensuring timely resolution or escalation, communicating in a friendly manner, and handling patients with a consummately professional attitude.
• Escalates patient complaints to the appropriate individual or department based on the nature of the complaint.
• Educates the patient on Shared Services for Physicians policies regarding charity requests, payment arrangements, and other applicable collection policies.
• Directs the patient to the appropriate forms to be used for the charity approval process.
• Maintains and protects confidentiality with regard to all aspects of patient care information.
• Maintain minimum production standards.
• Work within company attendance guidelines.
• Understands and adheres to the Shared Services for Physicians patient balance collection philosophies.
• Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES - This position requires the following minimum requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required, and two to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of medical billing and collections processes, preferably in a physician based environment. Must be skilled in working with multiple software programs and have the ability to multi-task. Bi-lingual is a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Establishes and maintains long term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting or exceeding expectations
Able to work effectively with other employees, patients, and external parties
Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
The Following Key Competencies are Targeted for Patient Support Specialist
Communication- Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Key actions: Organizes the communication
Maintains audience attention
Adjusts to the audience
Adheres to accepted conventions
Comprehends communication from others
Learning- Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Key actions: Targets learning needs
Seeks learning activities
Applies knowledge or skill
Takes risks in learning
Customer Focus- Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one's actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
Key actions: Seeks to understand customers
Build collaborative relationships
Takes action to meet customer needs and concerns
Sets up customer feedback systems
Decision Making- Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Key actions: Identifies issues, problems, and opportunities
Chooses appropriate action
Commits to action
Negotiations- Effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support of acceptance of parties
Key actions: Clarifies the current situation
Identifies points of agreement/disagreement
Keeps discussion issues oriented
Develops others and own ideas
Builds support for preferred alternatives
Stress Tolerance- Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
Key actions: Maintains focus
Work standards- Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Key actions: Sets standards for excellence
Ensures high quality
Encourages others to take responsibility
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom