Under general supervision of the Corporate Manager - Payroll responsible for handling a large volume of highly sensitive tax and payroll-related information in an accurate expedited and confidential manner.
- Maintains the state and local tax codes within the HR system for current and new taxing jurisdictions.
- Completes and remits new account registration forms to taxing jurisdictions.
- Follows up on newly applied for state accounts updates payroll vendor (ADP) and Talx of new account information and UE Tax rates; maintains Excel listing of account information.
- Communicates with ABC partners and external parties regarding tax or payroll issues.
- Assists in account research in response to notices from jurisdictions.
- Assists in account maintenance- mergers consolidations and divestitures.
- Prepares check requests for payroll departments accounts payable as needed.
- Prepares reports and remits payments for bi-weekly pay period such as union dues union pensions PAC wires etc.
- Prepares weekly ADP wire requests and monthly journal entries for the tax wires.
- Reconciles payroll balance sheet accounts on a monthly schedule.
- Assists in quarterly reporting compliance such as Multiple Worksite Report NV MBT PA EMST Puerto Rico SINOT and Driver's Insurance NJ surcharge etc.
- Assists in semi-annual and annual reporting compliance such as DE Employment and IN Worker Training Fund and CA Environmental Fee Return.
- Assists in filing amended returns for newly acquired companies that cannot be filed by payroll vendor (ADP).
- Assists with tax or payroll audits to ensure ABC compliance with tax and payroll laws.
- Participates in year-end activities and other projects as assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires broad training in fields such as business administration accountancy sales marketing computer sciences or similar vocations generally obtained through completion of a four year bachelor's degree program or equivalent combination of experience and education. Normally requires a minimum of two (2) years directly related and progressively responsible experience.
- Good understanding of payroll tax and payroll processing software programs preferably ADP Enterprise
- Working knowledge of general ledger accounting
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Adept at handling sensitive and confidential situations
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Ability to implement processes resulting in satisfactory audit practices
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word Excel and PowerPoint